Marantz WC-1U wood cabinet photo/specs

Just found this thread after identifying that the case I need for my Model 20 tuner is a WC-1 and doing a google search.

VERY helpful, thank you onepixel!

I am communicating with merrylander about building me a case, probably out of cherry.

I have one question- since I've never seen one of these cases in the flesh, I am unclear how it would look and work with the screw holes in the faceplate of my tuner. Would these be covered up, or used to affix the faceplate to the case?

That is how my 3300 preamp affixes to the wooden case - with the four faceplate screws.

The only pictures I've seen of the Model 20 tuner in the WC-1 wood case show the screw holes. I guess those holes were to use if the tuner was installed in some type of wall system with the faceplate flush against and screwed to the outside panel.

To my aesthetic sensibilities, the empty screw holes mar the appearance of an otherwise classic tuner. I may look for some very small brushed steel or aluminum bolts to put there that approximate the look of later units. But in those later models, the screw holes were not so close to the edge of the faceplate.

I'm open to suggestions on this!

(Image credits are Allegrosound and audioscope.)

Attachments

• Marantz_20_2_x.jpg
    Marantz_20_2_x.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 118
  • marantzmodel202.jpg
    marantzmodel202.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 108
Actually used antique brass screws in the face plate to attach to the wood case.

My only concern is the location of the feet on the Model 20 as that will govern the location of the mounting holes. I also need to know where the bottom plate is with respect to the bottom of the faceplate. Frex, when I make cases for the Fishers I have to run a full length 1/8" shim, front to back on both sides so that the faceplate does not hit the bottom of the front opening but is able ti slip inside the opening 1/2". From the pictures that I have seen of the Model 20 a wood backing just inside the face would provide something to hold some wood screws in the four holes. I also doubt that there would be any need for a vent as whatever heat things like the scope tube might generate should vent out the rear opening. Units with inboard heatsinks are neat but it really burns my butt to have to cut out a beautiful grain pattern smack in the middle of the case.

Just wanted to post some info on the steel vent screen. It is made from 16 gage steel(.063" thick). It has 1/8" holes on 3/16" centers staggered. I purchaced mine from McNICHOLS in Atlanta. Just go to mcnichols.com and the product has the HS code of 1618311638.

Last edited:
Here's what they look like all made up. :D

marantzs.jpg

One pixel:
I have that exact same case for my 4140. When I bought the 4140 it didn't have the standard metal shroud. However I managed to get one recently. If I decide to put the 4140 back in the wood case can I keep the metal shroud on it or must I remove it because it won't fit without modification? Thanks.

When you say metal shroud are you talking about the metal case? If so you can leave it on. It will fit under the wood case(s).

Cheers!

Hi again,
I'm wondering what is the best way to install the 4140 back into the wood case? It seems like I often scratch the wood with the faceplate on its way into the case then I need to use scratch cover to hide it. The 125 tuner is easier to install because its much lighter and easier to guide into place than the 4140. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

When you say metal shroud are you talking about the metal case? If so you can leave it on. It will fit under the wood case(s).

Cheers!

lol... seems like I'm on whenever you post. :)

It is kinda tricky putting any Marantz into it's wood case. I've done it two ways. First by feeding the power cord through, while the woodcase is sitting upright on the back side. The lowering the amp/receiver down, while holding the edges. You probably need strong fingers to do this. I'll have a towel place on the bottom so when you let go it's doesn't just drop. Then slowly lift the woodcase.

Another way is putting the amp/receiver face down, feed the power cable through and lower the woodcase. Then gently lay it down, holding both amp and case so it doesn't wiggle and cause scratches. And I use both methods on the bed so there is plenty of cushion.

Good luck!

Wc-1?

Hi,
I know that is a WC-1U with the adjustable rear leg but that other cabinet with all the dimensions is not a WC-1. my 10b has a completely open bottom with a fixed rear brace. Perhaps I missed something but That looks custom to me. Perhaps I missed something in all the text.

Hi,
I know that is a WC-1U with the adjustable rear leg but that other cabinet with all the dimensions is not a WC-1. my 10b has a completely open bottom with a fixed rear brace. Perhaps I missed something but That looks custom to me. Perhaps I missed something in all the text.

Well I'm no expert, but all the information I've come across points to it being a WC-1. I have the original factory installation guide for the WC-1U that came with my tuner. Other tuners and amps used those cabinets well after the 10B went out of production. So it's possible there are other variations.

Are you the original owner of the 10B and can you post pics of what you have?

Pic of the WC-1 case merrylander built out of cherry veneer for my Model 20 tuner, based on info and measurements generously provided by onepixel:

scaled_1325801052.jpg

Last edited:
Hello friends,
what's the original genuine wooden case for the Marantz 7 preamp?
A people says the WC-1 an other the WC-2.. I'm a bit confused..
Thanks.
Ezio

[UPDATE: REPOSTED AS A NEW THREAD SINCE THIS THREAD IS OLD]

Is anyone still watching this ancient thread? If so...

I have a question. I bought a Marantz 10B tuner years ago with an unusual wood cabinet. Instead of the cooling cut-out having the familiar black metal screen, as shown above by "onepixel", my cabinet has a rectangular cut-out on the top with a wood lattice grill insert. See image below. Does anyone recognize this cabinet? Was it a very early Marantz cabinet perhaps? It has the same beveled inset for the front panel as the usual WC-1, but there are no finger grip cut-outs on the lower edges of the side panels (like one of the two cabinets shown above). Any information would be appreciated.

eBay Marantz 10B wood case 1.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom