Marantz WC-22 Construction Plans

Here in Europe, the standard thickness of the particle boards in present day is 18mm (0.71"). So I chose the thickness for the hardwood part to be the same, to avoid confusion during making the project. For me there is no point to make a project for a non existent material around. I can try to make a brand new drawings for everything if the present day standard in US is 3/4" for the particle boards. Can you confirm that please?

Yes, it is 3/4". I went to the garage and measured several pieces and they all measured 3/4". Looks like a lot of work to change all of those measurements. You might just leave it up to users to make the conversion. Or if you want some measurements from me in inches, just let me know.

OK, I tried to draw the bottom in fraction inches for 3/4" particle board. I have a bad feeling somehow... Too much approximation, I don't know if something will fit at all. :confused: I just cannot think in inches.

Everything measures correctly except the dimensions from front to the front two foot pads. The rear foot pads are correct assuming you are measuring from the front of the cabinet WITHOUT the face frame. The dimensions to the front two foot pads from the front of the cabinet - not counting face frame - are 3/4" and 1-9/16" measuring with a ruler. The important cabinet dimension is inside dimension, which is 5-1/8" tall and 17" wide.

And inside the front of the frame where the receiver faceplate fits measures 5-7/16" tall and 17-7/16" wide. Overall outside dimension is 6-1/2" tall and 18-1/2" wide.

This is only the bottom part. That's why the front frame is not included. Updated the bottom pdf with new dimensions. The important inner 17" length is here. It is the same in my other drawing with 18mm thick particle board. But the other dimensions are different because of the different thickness of the material:
inner.JPG

Attachments

• Bottom.PDF
    21.7 KB · Views: 223
Hello everyone, I was out of town working on my house to get it ready to sell so I didn't have time to work on this. I've already been wrestling with the metric / imperial conversion and am hoping something doesn't get lost in the sauce so to speak. My plans will be in Imperial units, but I'll have the metric equivalents included for what that may be worth. These (at least the ones in the US) were no doubt built with materials and measured with imperial measurements. As far as the bottom cutouts go, I've looked at probably at least 8 or 10 online, and have concluded that there are few that are alike. I'm not sure if they built a WC-22 case (at least the bottom cut outs) for the individual Marantz model that was going to be put in it, or what the rational was. I'm going to take some measurements from my 2230 and layout the openings on the bottom according to that. That's the only thing holding me up at this point. Also I noticed that some were constructed with 1" Particle board and there was no edge on the Walnut front trim. The face plate butted up to the 1/4" left over from the 3/4" Walnut edge. Anyway, I hope to have something to post this week, and we can discuss further. I really didn't realize this thread was going to turn into this, but hopefully others will be able to build a case that's ultimately inexpensive, or at least less expensive when we're done. Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this effort.

Thanks for getting this going. I am not extremely experienced with furniture grade wood working, but I have a good table saw and miter saw. This might be a small enough project for me to tackle once the plans are all complete. Looking forward to it! :thumbsup:

@cemerson, I have a dimensions for the 2230. Actually, I have a basic 3d model for it. I can send you the SW model, if you're interested. There is a drawing for my second version of WC-22. But this is for 18mm particle board and 18mm thick face walnut part. This makes 6mm to add from the back of the faceplate of the receiver to the measurements for the feet screw holes on the bottom of the case. I will make version with 19mm (3/4") and 7mm for the front walnut edge as soon as possible. This version is better for 2230 IMHO, because there is a ventilation holes for both amplifier boards, providing a better air flow.

Attachments

• Bottom_2.PDF
    21.6 KB · Views: 224
@cemerson, I have a dimensions for the 2230. Actually, I have a basic 3d model for it. I can send you the SW model, if you're interested. There is a drawing for my second version of WC-22. But this is for 18mm particle board and 18mm thick face walnut part. This makes 6mm to add from the back of the faceplate of the receiver to the measurements for the feet screw holes on the bottom of the case. I will make version with 19mm (3/4") and 7mm for the front walnut edge as soon as possible. This version is better for 2230 IMHO, because there is a ventilation holes for both amplifier boards, providing a better air flow.
Yes, I'd love to see the model. I can directly open a SolidWorks file with Inventor 2017. I'd like to see if it's easy to change the units see what that looks like. If you want, you do some sort of "Pack & Go" and send the zip file to my email. Let me know if you can't find it. Thanks, Chris

PM me for you email. The problem is not the unit conversion. It is very easy in SW. The problem is different standards for particle board thickness for US (3/4" ~19mm) and EU (18mm). At least if one wants to be exact with the WC-22 reproduction. I couldn't find 19mm particle board in my country, 18mm is available everywhere. This leads to 2 completely separate projects to do. :)

Today I made the metal mesh for the WC-22 cabinet. Only perforated small part of it, because all that small holes would kill my system. It's 1mm thick and has about 1mm tolerance to fit in the groove of the top part of the case. Very soon I'll publish all the drawings in metric and then I'll start 3/4" imperial variant...
metal mesh.jpg
metal mesh WC-22.jpg

That's great work! I guarantee you many people will get good use of all of the plans in this thread over time. :thumbsup:

That's great work! I guarantee you many people will get good use of all of the plans in this thread over time. :thumbsup:

Thanks to you Steve. There was no much of participation from the other guys with WC-22 cases in this thread. I did what I could, considering I've never seen a WC-22 in live and I hope I didn't mess up the dimensions with this metric to imperial conversion. I was going to ask you for the dimensions of the feet (legs) of one of your decks (from the other thread). Just to confirm the holes on the bottom of the cabinet will fit one of those too. If it's not a much of a trouble with you, I will need the dimensions from the back side of the faceplate of the deck to the center of the screw hole of the feet (front and rear) in mm if it's possible. ;)

And there is the WC-22 drawings for the guys of the rest of the world in metric, two variations for the bottom and 18mm thickness for the material: Click.

And I forgot to mention that if anyone needs the original Solidworks files, I will send them to everyone who needs them. Just pm me with your mail and metric or imperial preferences... :)

On the 5020, I measured 47mm from the back of the faceplate to the center of the front foot and 243mm to center of back foot. The 5025B has different external dimensions and would not fit a WC-22.
Steve

This is terrific as I intend to build a case for my 2240.
Has anyone pulled all of the dimensions into a single PDF?

Thanks - Jeff

Back
Top Bottom