marantzfan's 4400 - All Out Restoration!

Just finished up with testing all inputs, all good. FM stereo operation is great, scope is pretty handy for dialing in stations. All the controls operate quietly. Did a power output test, I could only do 4 channel mode though. Don't have 2 scope probes to measure bridged output. It made spot on 60W/8 ohms all channels driven. Not bad at all.

Pretty much just listening and enjoying now. :music:

Attachments

• IMG_1594[1].jpg
    IMG_1594[1].jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1596[1].jpg
    IMG_1596[1].jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1597[1].jpg
    IMG_1597[1].jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_1598[1].jpg
    IMG_1598[1].jpg
    71 KB · Views: 133
No need for further testing, go ahead and box her up. :D

I do have a question though, did the LED kit include an LED for the scope grid?

No need for further testing, go ahead and box her up. :D

I do have a question though, did the LED kit include an LED for the scope grid?

I'll get it boxed up soon.

The kit does have an LED for the scope grid. I'm afraid to use it, it's gonna be really bright. Same LED as the dial pointer, I think it would wash the scope out.

Well, I got the 4400 today. WOW!

Kyle did an outstanding job; this receiver looks and sounds amazing. :drool:

Once I can tear myself away from listening to it for long enough I'll snap a picture of it in its reproduction WC-43 walnut case. :thmbsp:

Well, I got the 4400 today. WOW!

Kyle did an outstanding job; this receiver looks and sounds amazing. :drool:

Well, thanks! I try to do things up nice. There's some mil-spec work in there, you probably can't see it though. It's all hiding under heat shrink. :D Yep, I take ideas from my avionics shop and apply them to receivers quite often.

attachment.php

Nice to see someone still using the old "analog" Mouser catalogs! :D

Outstanding job on the restoration, sir! Thank you for taking the time to lay it all out here for the rest of us - personally, I know it will be a valuable reference for me when I summon up the courage to restore my own 4400!! :thmbsp: :tresbon:

Measured mine two 4400s in 2ch with a hand held scope. One was 195wpc and the other was 199wpc.... Call it 200wpc....

Don't have 2 scope probes to measure bridged output. It made spot on 60W/8 ohms all channels driven. Not bad at all.

Pretty much just listening and enjoying now. :music:

I snapped a few pictures this morning of the 4400 in the walnut case. This receiver looks as good as it sounds.

Attachments

• IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_0992.jpg
    IMG_0992.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0996.jpg
    IMG_0996.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 225
That looks great, very nice wood case. Where did you snag that?

Ebay, actually. There are a couple of guys that sell them on there from time to time. I actually sold the original WC-43 I had which was in so-so shape and was able to buy this new reproduction case and keep $20 in my wallet. :thmbsp:

Nicely done Kyle. From this thread it looks as though the 2252 met it's match and then some.

That unit looks fantastic in a wood case. Very cool!

Jeremy

Just wanted to drop a little note here after a few months. This receiver has been in constant service since being restored and is about a close to new as I can imagine any "vintage" piece of gear could be.

Kyle really did a magnificent job and I apprecciate all the time and effort he put into this 4400 for me. Thanks again Kyle! :thmbsp:

More progress on the 4400, slow and steady.

First couple pics are access to the relay board. You will need to remove the power supply, amp board, and heatsink. Remember to mark the output transistors and take pics so you know how they go back in. Then remove the screws that hold the back panel to the chassis, and the screws that hold the speaker terminals to the back panel. Remove the 6 screws at the board edges, then figure out a way to desolder those 4 solder tabs that hold the terminals in (the ones over the relay solder joints). I haven't figured out how I'm gonna do it yet. :D

I should do some cleanup while I have all these boards out, dirty in there!

Third pic is the original filters. Next one is the ring terminal I installed to make way for the EPCOS 22000uF beauties in the last pic. I tinned the wires, and crimped them in the terminal for a tight mechanical connection, then filled the joint with solder. It's solid, and attractive. But I put a bit of heat shrink over the crimped part for a clean look.

Back
Top Bottom