Mark Levinson 432 basket case.

That Levinson dual mono is right there with TOTL Krell and Classe gear (what I run). Around $8,000 new.

You’re playin’ in the big leagues now. Congrats, and be sure to feed it a dedicated 20 amp circuit and wed it to deserving speakers.

That Levinson dual mono is right there with TOTL Krell and Classe gear (what I run). Around $8,000 new.

You’re playin’ in the big leagues now. Congrats, and be sure to feed it a dedicated 20 amp circuit and wed it to deserving speakers.

DS2000 has a pair of STAX monoblocks, among other things. I'd say the Levinson is almost beneath him.

Honestly I’m looking forward to getting the Levinson up and running. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the 432’s capabilities and sq. It’s also “friendly sized”, despite weighing 115 pounds.

DS2000 has a pair of STAX monoblocks, among other things. I'd say the Levinson is almost beneath him.

I never got too interested in Japanese high end, other than their belt-driven transports. I know its disciples are ferocious advocates. The pricing didn’t make sense, even in the insane asylums we then called audio salons. Honestly, if I had succumbed to that price tier (and I very nearly did in another life), I would have walked down the NYAL road. Extremely dangerous financial territory, for anyone who still remembers the ‘black hole’. Rip, Harvey.

I nevertheless congratulate the OP on what is a first-class instrument score.

I never got too interested in Japanese high end, other than their belt-driven transports. I know its disciples are ferocious advocates. The pricing didn’t make sense, even in the insane asylums we then called audio salons. Honestly, if I had succumbed to that price tier (and I very nearly did in another life), I would have walked down the NYAL road. Extremely dangerous financial territory, for anyone who still remembers the ‘black hole’. Rip, Harvey.

I nevertheless congratulate the OP on what is a first-class instrument score.
STAX and Accuphase gear is beyond reproach, but I do agree that some of the overly revered top line stuff from the major Japanese mfr’s is borderline mythology in the language and attitude currently present in its description. Strangely, the love is also uneven. Some of the actual best of Japan is eclipsed by lopsided preferences for less refined gear of the same era. Must be brand love, etc.
A for instance, the Levinson is far better built than the Onkyo 510 amp here. The reasons are myriad, one must trust I compared. Mind you, the 510 is built to the hilt, but the Levinson is unreal.
But the Onkyo speakers I have here put just about anything to shame on all accounts all around. So, one must pick the right stuff based on observation, not hype and yards yadda yadda. Ok I’m done, lol.

Last edited:
While waiting for more faceplate parts, I figured I’d compound the case for real. Two part and a wax.
2EFE72AA-6934-4DE6-B966-A929C2199ED7.jpeg 7A1B2F47-CF77-48AE-A743-86FE8B30110F.jpeg 44735456-D9ED-49ED-870C-3001C06A981D.jpeg

STAX and Accuphase gear is beyond reproach, but I do agree that some of the overly revered top line stuff from the major Japanese mfr’s is borderline mythology in the language and attitude currently present in its description. Strangely, the love is also uneven. Some of the actual best of Japan is eclipsed by lopsided preferences for less refined gear of the same era. Must be brand love, etc.
A for instance, the Levinson is far better built than the Onkyo 510 amp here. The reasons are myriad, one must trust I compared. Mind you, the 510 is built to the hilt, but the Levinson is unreal.
But the Onkyo speakers I have here put just about anything to shame on all accounts all around. So, one must pick the right stuff based on observation, not hype and yards yadda yadda. Ok I’m done, lol.

Accuphase gear not only sounded great, but looked great as well, I recall. NYAL stuff, not so much. The latter looked more at home in Dr. Frankenstein’s lab.

Not that looks should ever matter based on the purpose of these instruments. But at that price point, it certainly helped ease the wallet pain when it did.

Looking good DS
Which wax did you use? Presume several coats

Rgds
Mayank
We’re still working on it, the holidays stalled me out. I have the rest of the standoffs and the four pin receptacles to fix that part.
The top was compounded with a rougher cut then a fine cut before some automotive drying carnuba wax was applied.

Also, brought these along to use the vise and better tools here at the house. Now they’re pretty much back to stock.
8ECEE70D-47B2-4242-882C-F510EB4E0A61.jpeg

Should have bought this.

Will never have this kind of kit.
The work has been difficult, a custom metal former helped me over the weekend with those NLA brackets. It might look easy; it’s anything but. My tech will take everything else out and I’ll bring the chassis to an auto body shop to fix the area where the transformer pulled the 8 ga metal out of form. Then there’s the Levinson parts issue. You can’t get them, so I’m having my Levinson authorized buddy update it. This will not be cheap, but like less than 1/3 of what Levinson themselves wanted. Without my Levinson tech buddy, I wouldn’t have touched it.

Back
Top Bottom