Mark Levinson 432 basket case.

Ds2000, I too am enjoying watching your progress. I'm curious about your own skill set. You seem to be a step above hobbiest. Are you an engineer or just handy and brave?

Keep up the good work, we're all cheering for you!
Steve

Last edited:
I started off schooling waaaay back when as an E.E. but ultimately left. It wasn’t the difficulty, I wasn’t cut out for that world. After leaving, I worked for a 6 generation old antique restoration company, where I was able to apply my meticulous nature to the work I was doing. I learned a helluva lot too, especially the idea that everything made is a puzzle, large or small. In sections or the whole shebang. In all of this, maintained was my love of stereo gear, I learned by practice and reading. I don’t have a bench and I also lack the full set of diagnostic tools. But I’m able to work on quite a few items, like this Levinson. I’m particularly good at physically and cosmetically damaged stuff, I.e. doing the faceplate saved hours of billable labor.
I also have connections to a really valuable tech who can perform the major electrical repairs for very fair prices (because I use him for everything, it’s becom more of a relationship.)

Last edited:
I’m done with my part, the face assembly and small board fixes are completed. I have to lug it to tech man now.
Well I do need to order 4” center to center handles for the rear panel. Edit: just found them for a very good price.

Last edited:
Long forgotten update. My buddy got busy, being the only qualified tech for many brands. Brands which are turning out defective crap, but shouldn’t for what one pays. So the backup was tremendous, he had to hire another highly skilled tech, not easy to find. We have discussed the job, and will be upgrading the control IC’s, pretty much the whole transistor compliment and the small caps. It will be a very current amp when done, but still maintaining its sonic characteristic.

Do the boards get roasted on these like they do on the mono versions?
Yes they do, mainly from a set of four large resistors. This one wasn’t used for long, so the roasting is minimal. That heat condition will be corrected.

How do they correct the heat condition? Circuit change, or reworking the the resistor placement/sizing?
Evidently circuit change and larger resistors stood off the board a little more. Also, all IC’s are replaced so the “instruction” to the amp may be different in the update.
Of course, this is all proprietary Levinson stuff, I’m guessing on the IC instruction part. I’ll be sure to ask when I pick it up.
More than a few have had to get new boards from the damage. Mine is minimal, so no need.

Back
Top Bottom