Marrs Communications

Well, they say it takes a big man to admit he's wrong. But at 5' 8" I don't believe I qualify :)

But I was wrong about Fred Marrs. I just received a full refund (verified on the PayPal web site), an apology, and an offer of a free kit in the future.

So, at this point I believe that he was simply overwhelmed at the amount of orders he received after closing his Ebay store. As I look around my garage at the amount of repair work I have backed up, I can relate.

Apologies to those who claimed Fred was a good guy; I learned a long time ago that you need to form your own opinions about people. But you guys were right, and I was wrong. It took a while, but in the end he made good.

And that's what counts.

I just received a full refund [...], an apology, and an offer of a free kit in the future.

Though not my experience, this is great to hear.

I continue to read that Fred is a good guy, and I believe it. Hopefully he can work out a way to not get so overwhelmed (especially w.r.t. customer communication) in the future. Sounds like when he is caught up, he's doing the right thing.

I believe it too, even though I haven't used Fred yet. I have still had a good experience with PRB but I don't doubt others either. It worries me slightly though, that we might only have "Fred" for belts and "Terry" for rollers to rely on now...

Hope this is okay to post here. If not= mods delete it. Just figured this might help some on here. Update from Fred posted on Tapeheads:

"8-27-14 UPDATE:

Resolution dates extended through September 20th !

Any remaining issue after September 20th, are null and void.

4,981 Kits Made and Mailed since March

All communication Must be done through: lost@marrscom.com

Every request Will receive and Response and be Resolved, Guaranteed !

Fred M.

Where are the Positive Post, from customers who have already been GENEROUSLY Compensated ?"

Last edited:
Where are the Positive Post, from customers who have already been GENEROUSLY Compensated ?"

Maybe there are none. Fred's post is just that a post. When he delivers against it than maybe we'll have something great to say. I have sent numerous emails over the last three months. All have gone unanswered.

I've been waiting 4 months myself. I'm just baffled at the amount of kits he builds everyday. Shouldn't these "kits" be already built for all the most popular units?
I get the assumption he researches every order and pulls all the belts for that unit....one by one by one by one.

If he is offering Free Kits for the customers he has refunded, who would actually take this offer knowing it will never ship or take 6-months?

I ordered a belt kit from Vintage-Electronics for my cassette deck and had it in 4-days.

I will wait and wait for the Marrs order for my Teac RTR because they are closest to OEM

Last edited:
Maybe there are none. Fred's post is just that a post. When he delivers against it than maybe we'll have something great to say. I have sent numerous emails over the last three months. All have gone unanswered.

That comment was made by Fred himself, not by me. I personally have no dealings with the guy since many years ago, when of course I too had a problem with my order. But I did eventually get it.

Waiting 4 months for a belt is just wrong, if you can't deliver in 4-5 days, don't take the order.
Find another supplier like Vintage Electronics or Teac in CA.

Waiting 4 months for a belt is just wrong, if you can't deliver in 4-5 days, don't take the order.
Find another supplier like Vintage Electronics or Teac in CA.

Is TEAC still operational at their Montebello address in California? I drove by there a few times in July and there is now an EMPIRE Supply sign (apparently cleaning supplies) where the TEAC sign used to be. Can't see the building from the freeway though and didn't have time to stop by and check personally.

TEAC was purchased last year by Gibson Guitars, adding to their stable of KRK, Cerwin-Vega, Stanton and Onkyo.

http://audio.teac.com/news/display/832/

They still list a 323 area code number for repairs. Obviously, I'd be worried that with a corporate takeover, one of the first things that can disappear would be legacy support for old/older products, including long discontinued RTR and cassette gear, not to mention electromechanical gear like mixers and other analog electronics.

May be time to query the service and parts departments for their take on longevity of parts and repair supplies?

Fred posted the following on TapeHeads:
"8-28-14 "CLARIFICATION" OF EXTENDED DEADLINE

CUSTOMERS WHO HAVE NOT RECEIVED THEIR "BACKLOG" ORDER (March through June), MUST NOTIFY MARRS NO LATER THAN SEPTEMBER 20TH !

NOTIFICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER SEPTEMBER 20TH, WILL BE NULL AND VOID, AND NOT HONORED.

THIS HAS GIVEN CUSTOMERS 45 DAYS TO REPORT "LOST" ORDERS.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND CONTINUED SUPPORT !

FRED M."

I hope he can clean up the backlog and fix his throughput issues. His belts and idlers definitely are the best.

I have a Nakamichi CR4A which may be in need of belts and I've been following this. My question is why exactly is he issuing a deadline regarding past orders? I don't quite understand it.

Where are the Positive Post, from customers who have already been GENEROUSLY Compensated ?
I think Fred went a little too far there. People waited months for their belts, which is understandable, but asking for praise because of "generous" compensation seems a little... egotistical? That's a comment Fred should have not said, as I for one know that this will piss some people off, that haven't been helped out yet.

After 8 months minus a day, I finally received my order. This was after sending him a snail mail letter.

At least I got it...

He posted specific instructions on Tapeheads for submitting claims; I've received an email back, but still no belts.

He posted specific instructions on Tapeheads for submitting claims; I've received an email back, but still no belts.

Me too. I heard back straight away acknowledging my claim, its 2 months since and nothing. I'm afraid to do any more follow-up for fear of being disqualified. Kind of comical really...

Back
Top Bottom