Martin Allcock R.I.P

RT Fan

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
It was very disheartening to read about the death of multi-instrumentalist Martin "Maart" Allcock. Veteran guitar player with Fairport Convention, Keyboard player for Jethro Tull and session player extrodinaire for names such as Robert Plant & Yuseef lsam, a/k/a Cat Stevens, Ralph McTell, etc. Was there a stringed instrument Maart couldn't play? Bass & Fretless bass were his forte, but guitar, bouzouki, mandolin all came naturally to him. Heck, he was such a great musician that his fellow Farporter, Dave Pegg, recruited him to play keyboards for Jethro Tull, in which Peggy played bass for 17 years.
Maart leaves a tremendous legacy in British music, having either played on, or produced 200 albums. I was proud to have known Maart and enjoyed his company whenever he came ot NYC with either Fairport or Tull and had a great time at the Fairport Reunion show where the boys filled in for Led Zeppelin with special guest Robert Plant and absolutly crushed it. I will miss him and extend my sympathies to his family and to all current and former members of Fairport Convention as well as their fans.
http://www.fairportconvention.com/

http://www.maartinallcock.com/

Prog%20Ex%20jam.jpg
How is this for a lineup? From left to right, Steve Hackett, Richard Sinclair, Mel Collins, Martin Barre and Maart on keyboards. Photo pinched from Martin's website. R.I.P. Martin Allcock.

Was there a stringed instrument Maart couldn't play? Bass & Fretless bass were his forte, but guitar, bouzouki, mandolin all came naturally to him.

The "Dave Lindley" of The UK. Or was it the other way 'round?

In any event a touching & spot-on tribute in words, RT. Thanks for bringing this news to the attention of our community.

-M

The "Dave Lindley" of The UK. Or was it the other way 'round?

In any event a touching & spot-on tribute in words, RT. Thanks for bringing this news to the attention of our community.

-M
Unbelievable Mystic, I was just going to offer that very observation.

"Great minds think alike and fools rarely differ" Thanks for the comments boys, Maarts talents will surely be missed by those who knew of his playing.
"Maart is a much more versatile player than I ever was." Robert Fripp.

Back
Top Bottom