Martin Logan Motion 40

Snappahead

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm looking for some feedback or opinions on Martin Logan Motion 40's. There is a pair local to me for sale and I'm looking to make a change. Any comments would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks

Only you can decide if a speaker is for you. Give them a listen if at all possible.

ML used to call themselves The Electrostatic Speaker Company. The Motion Series are fairly recent to their line. They along with other speakers with "folded ribbon" speakers all use a variant of the Heil AMT. When the Heil patent ran out everyone and their brother started making Heil variants.

I have no interest in electrostatic speakers but their traditional versions have peaked my interest. They get rave reviews but I always find the guys here to be much more honest and detailed than website reviews so I thought I'd give it a try. Thanks

The Motion series sounds fantastic. I've been really impressed with them. Very well balanced, and the tweeter is really special. Of course the true ESL speakers (like Electromotion ESL) are in a different league, but the Motion 40 will get you a lot of the airiness and spaciousness of the ESLs at a lower price point.

The Motion series (Electromotion ESL excepted) are a step down from ML's regular hybrid ESL's. Yes, they sound pretty good. Do they sound as good as their ESL based speakers? IMO/E they do not. Panels, ESL or magneto dynamic (Magnepans) are my preferred speakers.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the motion series. I've heard one of the larger floorstanders and to my ears the words 'sterile' and 'lifeless' are fitting descriptors.

they sound nothing like their ESL hybrids, which sound very good to me.

I have 3 pairs of the Motion series (inc. a pair of 40s) and a pair of electrostats from ML. Can't fault them.

If the price is right, I can't see you being disappointed.

I have 3 pairs of the Motion series (inc. a pair of 40s) and a pair of electrostats from ML. Can't fault them.

If the price is right, I can't see you being disappointed.

There are a pair available locally for $ 1400.00 The good thing is that I can listen to them first. Sounds like a fair deal. Seller claims they are perfect.

There are a pair available locally for $ 1400.00 The good thing is that I can listen to them first. Sounds like a fair deal. Seller claims they are perfect.

Sounds like a good way to buy. Arm yourself with your favourite recordings (not the sellers) and enjoy. The folded motion tweeters are the "interesting" aspect of the range. The rest is pretty standard stuff. I've read that many people who have listened to the 40s and 60s prefer the 40s because the tweeter is too high on the larger box of the 60. I don't know whether $1400 is a particularly low price. It doesn't seem too high though. The reason I have three pairs is that they are attached to my HT system; 40s in main, 20s in surround and 15s in front height. I've listened to all of them on my 2 channel system and I like the sound. They need some quite careful setting up because the tweeters tend to be quite directional.

I've had excellent service from the ML factory when looking for parts. The guys in the parts department are friendly and fast.

Sounds like a good way to buy. Arm yourself with your favourite recordings (not the sellers) and enjoy. The folded motion tweeters are the "interesting" aspect of the range. The rest is pretty standard stuff. I've read that many people who have listened to the 40s and 60s prefer the 40s because the tweeter is too high on the larger box of the 60. I don't know whether $1400 is a particularly low price. It doesn't seem too high though. The reason I have three pairs is that they are attached to my HT system; 40s in main, 20s in surround and 15s in front height. I've listened to all of them on my 2 channel system and I like the sound. They need some quite careful setting up because the tweeters tend to be quite directional.

I've had excellent service from the ML factory when looking for parts. The guys in the parts department are friendly and fast.

Apparently the seller has sold them so I ordered a pair online. Should be here in a few days so I'll let you know how this shakes out. Thanks for your help.

So they arrived today. Perfectly packaged and in one piece. The fit and finish is stunning and beautiful. I hooked them up and listened to a Sinatra Christmas CD and my first impressions are they sound beautiful. I was pleased with the spaciousness of them especially with the small size. The bass is warm and full. The tweeters are bright but not overly bright. You can hear all the highs without fatigue. I didn't have the chance to listen very long and I didn't tweak anything yet so I'm betting they'll get better. So far so good.

So they arrived today. Perfectly packaged and in one piece. The fit and finish is stunning and beautiful. I hooked them up and listened to a Sinatra Christmas CD and my first impressions are they sound beautiful. I was pleased with the spaciousness of them especially with the small size. The bass is warm and full. The tweeters are bright but not overly bright. You can hear all the highs without fatigue. I didn't have the chance to listen very long and I didn't tweak anything yet so I'm betting they'll get better. So far so good.
Assuming you still have these ML’s. What’s your impression after a couple years?

Assuming you still have these ML’s. What’s your impression after a couple years?

I love them. I am generally a fan of vintage less efficient speakers with big woofers. These are my favorite. They are warm and musical. The tweeters are amazing. very detailed but not harsh at all. I actually bought a pair of Motion 60's too. I figured I'd like the bigger version better, I don't. The 40's are better to me. And it's nice to have such a nice sounding speaker that is in a smaller footprint. Highly recommend them I think I'm going to sell the 60's and get another pair of 40's.

Back
Top Bottom