Martin Scorcese blues spec ial ??

opt80

Subscriber
Did anyone see the MS blues special on PBS last nite?
I just caught the last 30 secs,Anyone know who the guy was playing the guitar at the end of the show. He had glasses and could really pick that guitar.

I pre-thank you all

Alan

Alan

I have caught most of the series and its fantastic. If you can you really need to see the first two episodes you missed. The second one ( The soul of a man ) was fabulous ! The coverage of J.B Lenoir and Skip James was out of this world !

Here is the official website with all kind of info. http://www.pbs.org/theblues/

Grumpy

I agree Grumpy..."Soul of a Man" was awesome. Doesn't Skip James' voice give you goose bumps? I am lookin' forward to tonights show. :cool:

John

Fantastic series! Ordered a Rosco Gordon compliation after watching 'The Road to Memphis'.

-Dave

Alan - At the very end after the director interviews that was Robert Belfour. I believe I sent you some of his stuff last time around if I'm not mistaken?

mOOn

Originally posted by moondog
Alan - At the very end after the director interviews that was Robert Belfour. I believe I sent you some of his stuff last time around if I'm not mistaken?

mOOn

Of Course,I knew he sounded familiar,Thanks,Tom

Alan

Ughhhhh

We could do without Tom jones takes on the blues. :thumbsdn: :bash:

Can't wait to see the Piano blues segment tomorrow :)

Originally posted by grumpy
Ughhhhh

We could do without Tom jones takes on the blues. :thumbsdn: :bash:

Can't wait to see the Piano blues segment tomorrow :)

yes,I watched it last nite,that was a bit over the top.

Alan

I think the Jam session with Van Morrison made up for the whats new pussy cat guy :D

I have been waiting all week for the Piano special. I hope they Feature a fair bit on Dr. John :)

Tom Jones aside, I thought the rest of the program was outstanding. Especially enjoyed listening to Van and Jeff Beck.

Tonights 'Piano Blues' was directed by Clint Eastwood. I've heard him talk about music, including blues, before and of course he plays himself - should be interesting.

-Dave

I agree on Tom Jones... What the hell was he doing on there? Van was cool though as well as Jeff Beck of course. I would have liked to have seen some vintage Peter Green & Fleetwood Mac footage though. That was a BIG disappointment. The biggest surprize for me last night was LuLu. That was cool as hell. I never expected that girl to sing the blues like that. Blew me away!

Just a few other observations... I can't believe they didn't do anything on Buddy Guy, Johnny Winter & Rory Gallagher. Those guys deserved it much more than some IMHO. (As well as many others that got left out)

Oh well... It's still been a cool series. The Son House footage was especially priceless & I'm glad they gave Jimi a nice little spot too. Some day I'd really like to see Ken Burns do a Blues Special. Now that would be very cool.

mOOn

Just finished watching the Piano Blues segment tonight; lots of Brother Ray. Didn''t see Clint play, but I did break away for a game of "Jumanji" with the kids

There's a bunch of bits on right now gleaned from the entire series. I checked out my TV listings to see if they were running repeats and found out that there is a "Mountain Stage" program following.

Here's the blurb:
"Mountain Stage"
Series/Music, 60 Mins.
Episode #302.
John Mayall; Buddy Guy; Pinetop Perkins.

Original Airdate: September 3, 2003.

That's quite a lineup! It must be a TV version of the NPR show I catch Sundays.

Now I gotta scrounge up another tape!

Back
Top Bottom