Massdrop - new Topping D10 DAC for $75

GSS61

Just in case anyone wants to check out the new Topping D10 DAC, Massdrop has it for only $75 (expected to ship in early March).

This little USB DAC looks pretty good on paper... up to 32bit/384kHz for PCM and handles raw DSD up to DSD256. I went ahead and joined the drop!

It even has an OP amp socket so you can adjust the sound signature by trying different OP amps.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/topping-d10

http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/d10/index.htm

Topping D10 front.jpg Topping D10 back.jpg

Specs

• Topping
  • Color: Black
  • Power input: DC 5V/0.5A (USB powered)
  • Input: USB
  • Digital output: Optical/coax
  • Analog output: Line out
  • Dimensions: 4.1 x 5.7 x 1.5 in (10.3 x 14.6 x 3.7 cm)
  • Weight: 11.1 oz (314 g)

Line Out

• THD+N, A-weighted: < 0.0008% at 1 kHz
  • SNR, A-weighted: 115 dB at 1 kHz
  • Frequency response: 20 Hz–20 kHz (+/- 0.1 dB)
  • Output level: 2 Vrms at 0 dBFS
  • Noise, A-weighted: < 4 uVrms
  • Crosstalk: -115 dB at 1 kHz
  • Balance: 0.1 dB
  • Output impedance: 100 ohms
USB In

• 44.1–384 kHz / 16–32 bit
  • DSD64–DSD256 (DoP, native)
Optical/Coax Out

• 44.1–192 kHz / 16–24 bit
Included
  • USB cable
  • User manual

Last edited:
I have managed to resist the temptation. It also has SPDIF outputs so basically you get a USB to SPDIF converter that's based on the latest XMOS chipset, so you get a DAC and a decent converter for less than a converter alone.

I almost thought about getting this one (not through Massdrop), but then noticed it is a USB-only DAC. I don't use USB. :( But for those that use it exclusively, it looks to be a sweet deal!

So with this I could plug my android phone in and output to my DAC if I wanted to? It doesn't look like it has an aux power inlet.
I'm assuming it would just work on a computer or such.
I like the USB in and S/PDIF out feature.

BillWojo

So with this I could plug my android phone in and output to my DAC if I wanted to? It doesn't look like it has an aux power inlet.
I'm assuming it would just work on a computer or such.
I like the USB in and S/PDIF out feature.

BillWojo

Chances are you'll need a powered USB hub in between it and the phone, even if not the DAC will eat through the battery pretty fast. One thing about Android it'll upsample as much as it can if you play through the stock player or say Tidal/Spotify app, and it doesn't do a very good job doing it. There are Android player apps out there that can do bit perfect out to an external DAC, but as far as streaming services you're stuck with the upsampling.

USBAudioPlayer Pro works best on my Android with my dragonfly. With the normal app it upsamples and the commut maxes out at like 30% because of a bug in the way the dragonfly volume increments are setup.

Not sure if any updates have fixed the volume thing, it's been ~6 months since I played with it.

UPDATE: I just received the Topping D10 in the mail today from Massdrop and am listening to it now... sounds excellent so far with my go to test music.

The D10 driver download from the Topping website and installation was easy... it shows up as "Topping USB Audio Device" in Foobar and as "Topping USB DAC" in the speakers / playback devices window

I have plenty of standard and high resolution PCM and DSD files to test it out with, so I'll report back later. I like the large bitrate and codec display, it automatically dims to a soft glow after the music starts.

OK, so I had a chance to listen to the D10 for several hours earlier this morning and the bottom line is it sounds great. It sounds just as good as the NuPrime uDSD DAC that I have been primarily using for the past year or so.

It's a good looking unit, the display is nice to have to confirm the bitrate and codec (PCM or DSD) of the digital audio file you are listening to. I haven't had a chance to compare it to my Topping D30, but I suspect the D10's SQ will be similar.

It was a bargain for the Massdrop price of $75, but even at $90 elsewhere it is a great deal for sure. As always, YMMV

Some positive measurements, this is looking to be a very good bang for the buck DAC.

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...iew-and-measurements-of-topping-d10-dac.2470/

Eric

I read his reviews and find them interesting at times, but they do seem to be a bit narrow-minded being focused on sub-hearing level differences in measurements. Often what he points to as "problems" in products he does not "recommend" are some artifacts at very low levels and isn't something one should worry in reality. In a sense his "objective" approach implies that all DACs should sound the same, however they don't.

I read his reviews and find them interesting at times, but they do seem to be a bit narrow-minded being focused on sub-hearing level differences in measurements. Often what he points to as "problems" in products he does not "recommend" are some artifacts at very low levels and isn't something one should worry in reality. In a sense his "objective" approach implies that all DACs should sound the same, however they don't.

Yeah.

That's pretty much the whole point of what he's doing. It's not much else than measurements.

Objective.

Talking about how different DAC's sound is subjective. Fun of course, and everyone hears things differently.

Measurements are a useful baseline, one more thing to take in account when making choices and I welcome their presence.

Eric

I feel measurements can potentially point out problems, in order to explain something we might audibly notice. Something harsh or ragged might be explained by, say, noise from a badly designed switching power supply or poor filtering. But when flaws are at levels below -100dB, it makes me wonder what we are actually capable of hearing in terms of measurable flaws.

But yes, beyond the measurements I totally agree it's how something ultimately sounds that determines whether we like it or not. :thumbsup:

I feel measurements can potentially point out problems, in order to explain something we might audibly notice. Something harsh or ragged might be explained by, say, noise from a badly designed switching power supply or poor filtering. But when flaws are at levels below -100dB, it makes me wonder what we are actually capable of hearing in terms of measurable flaws.

But yes, beyond the measurements I totally agree it's how something ultimately sounds that determines whether we like it or not. :thumbsup:

I like "Neutral" DAC's with clean signals so measurements matter to me :).

I look at DAC's a bit like I look at phono cartridges, just give me a clean signal and my other gear will do the rest.

Eric

Yeah.

That's pretty much the whole point of what he's doing. It's not much else than measurements.

Objective.

Talking about how different DAC's sound is subjective. Fun of course, and everyone hears things differently.

Measurements are a useful baseline, one more thing to take in account when making choices and I welcome their presence.

Eric

I understand, I guess what I'm saying his reviews aren't very helpful. I just don't share his excitement when he finds mains noise at -105dB and shots down a product based on that.

I think this all goes back to the old subjectivist/objectivist debate. It's one side saying it can't sound good because it measures bad (and "bad" is a moving target depending on who is measuring, and what is being measured), and the other side doesn't care how it measures, as long as it sounds good.

I like "Neutral" DAC's with clean signals so measurements matter to me :).

I look at DAC's a bit like I look at phono cartridges, just give me a clean signal and my other gear will do the rest.

Eric
Hate to sidetrack but thats exactly what I am not digging about the SMSL M8A I am trying.

Edit: it sounds processed.

Now back to your regular programming.

Last edited:
I'm okay with measurements, it is just what ASR considers bad is often just meh in my book. Yes, it may point to the lack of engineering hygiene or other fundamental limitations, but I have yet to see a smoking gun, in the reviews I read anyway. I do like his tests of various gizmos that are said to improve sound quality, those are fun to read.

Back
Top Bottom