Massdrop - new Topping D10 DAC for $75

Count me in. I just joined the drop. Free shipping and $15 less than Amazon. I can wait a while (middle of June) for it to come. Looking forward to it driving my Little Dot MKII.

Last edited:
Mine came yesterday. It will be replacing a HiFi Me DIY USB DAC. I, may report after some listening.

I took advantage of the latest Massdrop and recieved my D10 yesterday. So far I am very impressed with this little guy. I was debating on whether to buy a new CD player but then decided to go with a DAC and my computer. I personally am not in the "warm sound" category. The DCPP amp that I built from Pete Millett's design has been described by others who have built it and more experienced and learned than I as "punchy" and "dynamic". In his measurements Pete says the amp is accurate. This DAC seems to fit into that category. My subjective opinion is that it does seem to bring out good detail and covers the frequency spectrum. As an entry to DAC's, its hard to go wrong for $75 and get something that does it's job so well and so transparently.

I'm really liking this DAC. It seems to be smoother with more "there" there than the HiFiMe DAC. Even if you have to pay the Amazon price of $89 I think it's pretty much a steal. Mine is driving a Little Dot MKII OTL headphone amplifier via USB from an Asus laptop acting as a music server.

Eventually I'll open it up and try swapping the op-amp for one of those discrete ones.

More on the D10.
One of the reasons I bought this was because dsf files sound so good on my AGPTEK Rocker 2. For the last three days I've been trying off and on to get Foobar to work with the D10 and dsf files. I finally got Foobar to recognize and play (I think) them. Unfortunately it doesn't output anything to the D10 or any other device now. Fortunately it's not my primary music player. As a last resort I downloaded Hy-Solid to my music server laptop and the app to my cell phone. I was reluctant because I want to be able to control playback from my laptop. What the hell. I figured I'd give it a shot. BINGO!

The install to my laptop was easy. It asked where the music files were and told me to download the phone app. That's what I did and I was able to play FLAC and dsf files seamlessly. There's a nice little display on the phone that makes it very pleasant to use. I'm now wondering if I can install the app on my Fire tablet. I much prefer the larger screen my tablet has.

Well, I tried it on my Fire tablet and no go.

I'm streaming DSD files to the D10 using Foobar with no problems, but Foobar needs to be set up a certain way to do this. The foo asio output component and the D10 driver both need to be installed. Then select the "DSD : ASIO : Topping USB Audio Device" in Output under Preferences, and then set up the SACD section under Preferences to be either DSD only, or DSD+PCM if you want VU meters and other playback indicators to function when playing DSD files

Note that there is no volume control when playing back DSD... it streams at 100% output

Last edited:
I have installed all the Foober drivers/addons and the latest drivers from Topping on the laptop I'm using with the D10. When I select DSD : ASIO in Foobar, Topping USB Audio Device does not show up. I can get Foobar to play DSD files (according to the display). Unfortunately I get no output.

I'm a retired IT Pro and I am stymied.

Foobar worked fine with the D10 and all the files I threw at it (16/44, 24/88, 24/96, 24/192), until I tried to get it to work with DSD files. Currently Foobar doesn't work properly even after an uninstall and fresh install. I don't feel like editing the registry to correct the problem. No matter, I prefer Music Bee for my regular FLAC files anyway.

As an alternative I installed Hysolid on the same laptop (in my bedroom) and Samsung phone. Voila, instant access. Hysolid picked up the D10, all my files including dsf and allows for playback using my phone as the controller. There's no volume control but I can do that from the Little Dot MKII on my nightstand next to the D10. I can now play DSD files. For someone who uses their phone for most everything it's worth a try. Even if you don't it's worth a try.

If anyone thinks this sort of effort is a bit much to listen to headphones while in bed well, that's what we do.

Last edited:
It's probably something simple that is preventing foobar from working with the DSD : ASIO Topping output... what it could be I'm not sure. Sounds like you have a great workaround that is a better fit for your purposes...

I bought this to play around with DSD and higher resolution music. I wanted one which clearly displayed the incoming stream that was being decoded, which is absent from most DACs, especially the less expensive ones.
This is a very nice sounding DAC, very good detail and a neutral presentation. If I listen closely and compare it to my more expensive DACs, I could say that it has a slightly smaller soundstage, doesn't image as well, and is a bit lean. But if I stop listening to the DAC and just listen to the music, it sounds wonderful.

I bought this to play around with DSD and higher resolution music. I wanted one which clearly displayed the incoming stream that was being decoded, which is absent from most DACs, especially the less expensive ones.
This is a very nice sounding DAC, very good detail and a neutral presentation. If I listen closely and compare it to my more expensive DACs, I could say that it has a slightly smaller soundstage, doesn't image as well, and is a bit lean. But if I stop listening to the DAC and just listen to the music, it sounds wonderful.

I concur. This is a very nice sounding DAC. So far, the cost to benefit ratio is large. I'll need more time for evaluation, but for a mere $89.00, I'm satisfied. I've used it with both my Magnepans and Ohm Walsh 3s. This weekend, I'll try it with more sensitive speakers like my JBLs and Klipsch KG4s. Those ought reveal any noise issues. That said, it is well worth the entry cost.

BTW, I'm using a Mac and Amarra for my evaluation.

Last edited:
Picked the updated D10s to refresh my desktop setup. It's crazy good. Another nail in the coffin of boutique Hi-Fi.

It's been two+ years and the D-10 is still my DAC of choice for my bedroom setup. Music Bee is still my primary choice for playing FLAC files. I use Tune browser for DSD/DSF files. I don't have a lot of dsd/dsf files so the 500 file limit for the free version is adequate for now.

A Little Dot MKII is used to drive a pair of HiFi Man 4xx for my musical pleasure.

I picked up an E30 recently and it's quite impressive, especially for the price.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom