1. Work behind the scenes continues. AK may go offline again for additional database and or Xenforo fixes.
    Dismiss Notice

Mastersound 300B S.E. integrated amplifier

Discussion in 'New Gear - Performance' started by guiller, Oct 6, 2016.

1. guiller

guiller Toscaninichus Australis

Please register to disable this ad.

2. gregswaim

gregswaim Neutral Organic Sound

Are you currently considering this model or something similar in the 300B category?

3. gregswaim

gregswaim Neutral Organic Sound

I really like tube amplifiers and tube preamps with digital sources. That model looks quite nice, I would very much like to give it a listen sometime.

4. Mister Pig

Mister Pig Pigamus Maximus

I had a friend who owned a Mastersound 300B based amp called Ceasere. I got to hear it a number of times, and it was lovely. Very articulate, transparent, expressive, everything a SET amp should be. How close this version comes to that Mastersound amp I am unsure. It does not seem to be built to the same quality as Ceasere, but it looks to be a mighty fine amp in its own right. I certainly think its worth owning if you can handle the low power output. SET amps can be magical.

Regards
    Mister Pig

5. guiller

Thanks for the input. Mister Pig! I´m basically considering this model in particular since a local dealer is tempting me with a good offer. But I need first to make a test with my speakers, ATC SMC 11 v2. I know these are low-efficieny speakers and for that reason I disregarded the Mastersound possibility since I love the sound of the ATCs. But then, my dealer has the Mastersound hooked to a pair of Elac BS 314, which have a similar sensitivity value to that of the ATCs. Well, not really (85.0dB/2.83V/m for the ATCs vs 87.5 dB / 2.83 V / m for the ELACs). My listening room is not that large and I mainly listen to classical music, so, there is a change that the pairing may work and I would like to make a real listening test before spending any money.

6. guiller

Well, I´ve finally bought this very fine integrated amp. In short terms, this is by far the best amplifier I´ve ever heard at home. It goes really well (against my expectations) with the low-efficiency ATC SCM 11 v2´s speakers! It is in fact a superb match for my listening room size and shape and for my music program (classical music). I couldn´t be happier....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    stish likes this.

7. Art K.

Art K. The Voodoo You Do! Subscriber

Congrats! I had a Due Venti in home for an afternoon and heard their amps at a friends house. I love the sound.

guiller likes this.
  8. guiller

Thanks Art!!

9. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE AK Subscriber Subscriber

Congratulations! That looks like an incredible system!

guiller likes this.
  10. guiller

Many thanks! I'm enjoying it whenever I have the opportunity.

11. Nutsfortubes

Nutsfortubes Active Member

Now it is time to start rolling those 300Bs.

guiller likes this.

12. guiller

13. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

How do you find the 929 in comparison to the Clearaudio?

14. guiller

I use the two TTs for different purposes, as the carts they are fitted with are very different, and don't belong to the same league. I would say that the match of the Benz Micro Ace with the CA Satisfy tonearm is a great one. I use this setting for new records or the ones in best condition. The operation of the CA is not fun, as one must be careful checking the motor centering to avoid physical contact between it and the TT board. An excellent sounding pair but a very delicate one to handle. The Sansui is in a different world. It makes me happy using it. It works perfectly always, no fine tuning needed. The cart on it is a good Empire but I've got plans for a better one. Anyhow, I use this TT all the time, as I buy lots of used LPs. First clean them with a Clearaudio SmartMatrix RCM and then try them first on the Sansui. So, I enjoy much better the old Sansui, actually!

15. guiller

Befana brought some nice tubes...

[​IMG]
    [In Italian folklore, Befana (pronounced [beˈfaːna]) is an old woman who delivers gifts to children throughout Italy on Epiphany Eve (the night of January 5) in a similar way to St Nicholas or Santa Claus. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Befana )]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

These are for my Mastersound 300b SE !!

DC likes this.