Matt Farrah test-drives the 2018 Acura NSX on a track

Definitely a driver's car. And I like that it can function well as a daily driver--won't rattle your teeth out of your melon while driving it. It's also a relative bargain, compared to what it's up against--it starts around $157,000.

It's very interesting to see who designed the exterior...and all of those ports are functional BTW. http://www.autonews.com/article/20150117/OEM02/301199916/the-woman-behind-the-bold-nsx

And it's built in the US in Ohio, and largely designed in the US as well. :) Can't say that about any other "supercar" out there.

Interesting article about working on the NSX:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a14406365/acura-nsx-maintenance/

Short version--the rear bodywork needs to be partly removed to get to some of the drivetrain, but it was designed to be easily removed, taking about an hour. They also note that the coolant drain washer is the same commonly used washer on most other Honda engines (and I suspect there are many other shared parts).

I was at a party a few years ago talking with a fellow about the new NSX. I had known he worked for Honda North America but wasn't aware of his title. I had maybe one or two to many and was carrying on about car companies loosing site of the fun affordable cars like the Integra Type R, S2000, when the Civic SI was a super lightweight cheap fun car to drive. I applauded Toyota and Subaru for the BRZ and the F86, etc. I understood companies need flagship models and they are impressive, mentioning the GTR and the Lexus LFA. I think I mentioned companies can build a car that's faster and more reliable than a Ferrari but you can't capture the soul stirring emotion Ferraris have in there DNA. Even a 17k Mondial has the sound and the click click of the shifter, which I love. I love the way a Jeep CJ shifter feels, click, click, just a lot sloppier.
I had asked him about the new NSX which had yet to become public, he said (I know a little about it). Turns out I was talking to Jim Keller Senior Manager and Chief Engineer at Honda R&D Americas. It's important that I let even the most talented people in the industry know I'm a douche.

I had maybe one or two to many and was carrying on about car companies loosing site of the fun affordable cars like the Integra Type R, S2000, when the Civic SI was a super lightweight cheap fun car to drive.
While it still won't be cheap, rumors are circulating that a somewhat stripped-down Type R is coming in the near future. But yeah, that's true that the cost of the new "fun" cars is a much bigger jump than it used to be.

The only way I can think of to use "fun" and "affordable" these days is to buy something that is several years old. But the good thing there is that most cars are lasting way longer than they did decades ago. Any old GM my dad ever owned through the 80s was pretty much junkyard ready at 80,000 miles; today at 100,000 miles, many cars still have a long life ahead of them. The rarer cars still cost a bit of coin (like a clean S2000 that hasn't been given the "ricer" treatment), but there are plenty of others I could live with and still afford.

I was fortunate enough to own a 97 NSX, best car I have ever owned! Picked up in 2000 off lease and kept 5 years until I moved onto a dirt road.
Had to sell, could not look at that car with dirt on it and it got dirty every day. Very comfortable seats, could go long distance and not be exhausted.
Never have had a car that could so precisely slice through traffic and accelerate to over 150 so smoothly.

Also had a 2006 S2K. Fast and nimble, but much harder on your body if on the road all day.
When I took my wife with her jeep to look for a Miata see wanted to trade her jeep for, the saleman stated how the miata was superior to an S2K.
I told him I had one and would be happy to race for titles. He shut up and we did go elsewhere to find her a car. I hate liars!

Also had a 2006 S2K. Fast and nimble, but much harder on your body if on the road all day.
When I took my wife with her jeep to look for a Miata see wanted to trade her jeep for, the saleman stated how the miata was superior to an S2K.
I told him I had one and would be happy to race for titles. He shut up and we did go elsewhere to find her a car. I hate liars!
Everybody should own a car with a 9000 RPM redline, at least once in their life !

Back
Top Bottom