MAXELL UD 35-180, need help saving

Mikefc

"Quality is our No. 1 Dream"
Subscriber
I just came into possession of seven Maxell UD35-180 tapes on metal reels. Pics attached here. It appears they were stored in a very damp environment for a long time. It looks like lime deposits to me but I'd like to hear your opinions. I was hoping to save these by removing the tape flange, one side at a time and cleaning it, then brushing all the particles off of the tape medium itself. After this I would spool the tape onto a clean reel. I could then clean the Maxell reel properly and put the tape back on. What do you think? will this work? IMG_0357.JPG IMG_0782.JPG IMG_3984.JPG IMG_2119.JPG IMG_5890.JPG IMG_6980.JPG IMG_7348.JPG IMG_9409.JPG IMG_9225.JPG

I just came into possession of seven Maxell UD35-180 tapes on metal reels. Pics attached here. It appears they were stored in a very damp environment for a long time. It looks like lime deposits to me but I'd like to hear your opinions. I was hoping to save these by removing the tape flange, one side at a time and cleaning it, then brushing all the particles off of the tape medium itself. After this I would spool the tape onto a clean reel. I could then clean the Maxell reel properly and put the tape back on. What do you think? will this work?

I've seen this myself. The tapes can be brushed off as you describe. Rest assured, they retain their quality, most surprisingly. It helps to work them (sequentially FF and REW) a few times to let them breath. The reels themselves, however, are difficult to clean, as the corrosion/oxidation spots are embedded in the aluminum. The best you can do is smooth them out with super fine sandpaper (800 grit or higher) so that tapes wind on smoothly. I agree it results from storage...the ones I had were from the deep South (hot and humid).

My experience with Maxell reels was that the screws holding the flanges together would not separate-but you seem to have done it-that's great.

I agree they are quite salvageable. I would try vacuuming the tape packs first, and using a very soft brush to dislodge debris while vacuuming simultaneously. The remaining stuff may require careful wiping with a damp cloth. For the corrosion on the flanges, very fine sandpaper or automotive polishing compound would help. I might even wipe down after words with a dampened cloth using diluted dish soap and a bit of bleach (to kill mold spores remaining).

After reassembly, I would run the tape end to end, and back, using your deck's highest playback speed. Early in the process, maybe stop every few minutes to see if anything is building up on the heads and\or guides, although I doubt you will find anything notable. This will give you a nice even tape pack.

Good reels of Maxell tape are very desirable, so worth the effort.

Careful with the bleach on aluminum...it can stain (depending on concentration), particularly after the reels have been buffed or sanded. I prefer a quat-based detergent to kill and remove and microorganisms. Also, you may want to tape the labels before you use any grit on them so the printed logos don't come off. Finally, you want to place the reel flanges on a flat surface. I warped the first pair I tried to buff "free-hand"

I had a reel of UD in very similar condition to yours. I ran it onto another reel directly and there was no sign of any stickiness, so I then ran it at high speed through the tape path. Again it was fine. I’ve used it to record at 3 3/4, 7.5 and 15ips. It was fantastic at all speeds. As others have said, it’ll be fine.

One point already mentioned; just how the heck did you undo the screws and split the reels? I’ve tried on one which is particularly naff and all I succeeded in doing was completely grawnching the screws! :thumbsdown:

I had a reel of UD in very similar condition to yours. I ran it onto another reel directly and there was no sign of any stickiness, so I then ran it at high speed through the tape path. Again it was fine. I’ve used it to record at 3 3/4, 7.5 and 15ips. It was fantastic at all speeds. As others have said, it’ll be fine.

One point already mentioned; just how the heck did you undo the screws and split the reels? I’ve tried on one which is particularly naff and all I succeeded in doing was completely grawnching the screws! :thumbsdown:
it seems you guys jinxed me, I separated the first reel without incident, the second reel, two screws easy, the third screw seized, LOL . I will check the others and maybe get lucky..

Back
Top Bottom