May have solved my Radeon freezing problem.

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by transmaster, Aug 1, 2018.

1. transmaster

transmaster AK Subscriber Subscriber

was reading yet another gaming forum about the people with the R9 3XX GPU freezing. And someone had solved it in the PC’s power management settings. This is something I had never paid any attention to as my installed power supply has almost 300 Watts of headroom. It turns out Windows 10 if you install it fresh on an new build or a clean install on an old system the power management settings are laptop, carbon footprint level. For a PC you need to set it to the performance setting. After changing mine to higher level I have not had a freeze-up. It ran iTunes, and YouTube at the same time, and I was Editing music fillss with jRiver no problems except the usual almost petulant behavior iTunes has on a PC. The jury is still out but with the above stuff all running I always had a freeze up in time.

StimpyWan likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. transmaster

I have not had a screen freeze since I changed the power settings from “Balanced” to “Performance”. Something so simple. I looked at Furmark https://geeks3d.com/furmark/ the testing software I use which brutalizes GPU’s and it temporary changes the power settings to Performance while testing. No wonder It never found any problem. It indicated I have a very good GPU. What a relief I thought I was going to have to fork over for a new one.

StimpyWan likes this.
  3. transmaster

A unexpected thing happened as well jRiver has always been troublesome for me, crashing. Since I did the power settings change jRiver is an absolute joy to use. I am finally having fun exploring all of the things it can do.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  4. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

One of the first things I do with any laptop is to change the power options. My music server is a laptop. It's on most of the time. I run it with the battery removed. It's set to never automatically turn off anything (HDD, display) or hibernate. It's also set to shut down when the lid is closed.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  5. eizner23

eizner23 Active Member

Ideally the Graphics driver should've detected that power setting and popup message in icon tray.

6. transmaster

At least the setup should have mentioned it. If I was a gamer I would have known this. I didn’t learn this till I started to visit the gaming forums. Looking at the bench marks on the R9 380 it is more powerful by it’s self than Entire PC’s I had just a few years ago.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. transmaster

I have reloaded the Bionic distributed computing software. I ran SETI@home for years but I had to delete it because of freezing. It will be interesting to see if I can run it now. The science is interesting but what I really liked was the way cool 3D animated screensaver.

C8D4C941-9327-4D68-A490-48028C16097A.jpeg
    :dunno:The PC froze up almost instantly, oh well.

8. transmaster

What is very amusing about the Bionic utility. Many other people report issues. The Bionic “Voices” never blame bad coding on their part for the problem. It is alway the fault of your computer. It ran fine for years on XP, no problems on Windows 8, but it has never run on W10 even in compatibility mode. Oh well.