Maybe Why Some of Us Can Hear It and Others Don't

Uncle Paul

I saw this YouTube video yesterday about optical illusions, and noticed right off that I see some of them and don't see others (the first for example - I see two gray pills).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qD3w3cAhEYU

It got me thinking about many of the discussions in this forum. I used to think that most of the claims about this metal vs that, jars full of special marbles, special wood plinths, etc., were people simply deluding themselves. Some of it probably is (part of our nature as imperfect beings), but if it helps your overall enjoyment then all the better.

Personally I can't hear the differences in things except for when they degrade things electronically - like oxidation causing a poor connection or not enough shielding in a poor interconnect. But I've learned that we don't all perceive the world in exactly the same way. The YouTube link has one illusion that relates to audio that is especially revealing, where a woman is repeating the same word, but you hear it differently based on what you see.

Even though I'm a skeptic by nature and possibly don't have the proper ears to validate most of it, I do enjoy the discussion in this forum.

I've know for a long time now that my senses can be fooled, but with that dragon followed by the girl, my mind is officially blown. I need to go lie down now.

Thanks for sharing.

Shelly_D

That is pretty interesting, the split camera of the girl is just crazy!

How far to the bar?

yeah that got me too. Amazing what the brain can be fooled into thinking.

I remember something like the dragon on an old Mr. Wizard episode. He had a concave face mask on a shelf, and it appeared to follow you when moving around the room.

The girl saying bar and far is why audio tests have to be double-blind.

But yes to basic point. Brains are not all the same, any more than any other audio gear is.

There are many things that I can not hear and yet I can notice subtle nuances that escape most people that I know. It's all about what your brain is tuned in to.

The girl saying bar and far is why audio tests have to be double-blind.

QFT!

Not saying that some people don't hear some things that others can't. But ALL people sometimes imagine they hear things when they really don't. Double blind goes a long way to removing at least some of the psycho variables.

"The visual input over rode the audio" in the far-bar video . I would imagine that goes on all the time .

I had seen the dragon previously and was quite intrigued. There are several versions on the web so you can make your own!

Here is one http://www.instructables.com/id/Hollow-Face-Illusion-Dragon-Without-Leaving-your-d/

Somewhere, someone had a video of a 5 or 6 foot model based on the roughly the same plans that was impressive!
Intersting stuff..after the dragon thing was revealed I no longer saw it as originally had seen it. The tiles with the one under the desk was cool/surprising.

Check out this link. Our brains apply new information and learning in every situation. The ability to train our ears/brain to listen critically is absolutely real. It takes practice and an interest in doing so.

Ever buy a new album and even after 20 listens you still can't make out the lyrics in a certain passage? You look them up and from that point on you understand the lyrics when you hear that passage. Hearing is not just a function of the ear but is highly interpretative by a lot of factors and it is very real to each of us and highly personal.

That's why we, as audio hobbyists, say "if it sounds good to you......." Just like any other hobby people tend to get better at it with time and exposure to different gear.

http://gizmodo.com/this-audio-illusion-will-make-you-never-trust-your-ears-1593113324

Check out this link. Our brains apply new information and learning in every situation. The ability to train our ears/brain to listen critically is absolutely real. It takes practice and an interest in doing so.

Ever buy a new album and even after 20 listens you still can't make out the lyrics in a certain passage? You look them up and from that point on you understand the lyrics when you hear that passage. Hearing is not just a function of the ear but is highly interpretative by a lot of factors and it is very real to each of us and highly personal.

That's why we, as audio hobbyists, say "if it sounds good to you......." Just like any other hobby people tend to get better at it with time and exposure to different gear.

http://gizmodo.com/this-audio-illusion-will-make-you-never-trust-your-ears-1593113324

Good post!

It's this sort of thing that makes me wish I could spend a lot more time here:
P_20170311_123039.jpg

I hang out at music direct all the time. I like my gear at home, but I am not proud enough to say that it's better than the high dollar stuff in a showroom. However, there are so many different factors that i have trouble picking out what actually IS different in the audible presentation.

Sometimes you've got to own a few things to get what's going on I think

However, there are so many different factors that i have trouble picking out what actually IS different in the audible presentation.

Sometimes you've got to own a few things to get what's going on I think

Well presentation IMO is not just audible, it's the whole package that effects your senses. This I think most don't think of or maybe they do, but don't admit it.

Lets say you have two dinners and one is in a nice Japanese restaurant, they welcome you and have very nice social interaction. Five courses are presented to you on plates served like art work and always attentive throughout the meal.

The second dinner, it's the same food, all five courses. However this time your sitting on a milk crate at the dumps. All five courses are put in a blender and served as a big pile of goop on a paper plate.

Same food, same nutritional value, so what meal will taste better ?

The effect of all our senses together is what puts the experience together. Our smell has a huge effect on how we taste as dose seeing what we are eating.

Personally I skip internet chatter and try whatever I can afford and make my own decision within my own system. Nobody is me and in my space.

Well presentation IMO is not just audible, it's the whole package that effects your senses. This I think most don't think of or maybe they do, but don't admit it.

Lets say you have two dinners and one is in a nice Japanese restaurant, they welcome you and have very nice social interaction. Five courses are presented to you on plates served like art work and always attentive throughout the meal.

The second dinner, it's the same food, all five courses. However this time your sitting on a milk crate at the dumps. All five courses are put in a blender and served as a big pile of goop on a paper plate.

Same food, same nutritional value, so what meal will taste better ?

The effect of all our senses together is what puts the experience together. Our smell has a huge effect on how we taste as dose seeing what we are eating.

Personally I skip internet chatter and try whatever I can afford and make my own decision within my own system. Nobody is me and in my space.
Yeah, totally.

I want to spend some time in the next year building speakers. Even if I end up with something manufacturer produced, I would like the tactile and practical experience to really understand what's going on

Back
Top Bottom