MC 2100 new to me

vinyl fiend

I was recently able to acquire an old Mac 2100. It's been sitting for a while and probably has not been powered up for 20 yrs. Should I take it to a tech straight away? I have a variac and could try to warm it up slowly to see if it works. I have to clean the input connectors first. Also, it came with a CA-2 control relay. does it need to be speaker loaded when powered up? Thank you, in advance, for your advise.

CA-2 is not a familiar number to me......SCR-2 is and would only work for you if you have a Mac preamp.

If you have the money, then yes, take it to a tech. If you have the know how, then bring it up to spec yourself.

I was recently able to acquire an old Mac 2100. It's been sitting for a while and probably has not been powered up for 20 yrs. Should I take it to a tech straight away? I have a variac and could try to warm it up slowly to see if it works. I have to clean the input connectors first. Also, it came with a CA-2 control relay. does it need to be speaker loaded when powered up? Thank you, in advance, for your advise.

You do not need a load on the speaker outputs to fire it up, best to have nothing connected to the outputs in this situation.
Not sure what the relay is that you have, but you can just leave that out of the equation at the moment.
Does it have a blown fuse? Was it in working condition before its 20 year holiday, do you know?

Might be a good idea to Dim Bulb it, that way if there's a short in there somewhere you won't damage the amp at all...

Let us know how you get on...

Back
Top Bottom