MC-2105 Amp Question

cjmustang69

I've been moving pieces around, while I wait to get my MC-7300 amp back. This morning, I decided to move my Polk SDA-2 speakers upstairs to play with my McIntosh MC-2105 amp. Before I hook up the umbilical cable, I would like to confirm my amp is a common ground design. I've looked on Polk Audio forum and find threads of members using this amp with their SDA speakers - so believe it is common ground. I'd just like to confirm prior to connecting cable.
IMG_1055.JPG

Thank you so much for confirmation. I had bad experience several years ago with pair of Adcom GFA-565 monoblocs and Polk SDA-CRS speakers. Totally forgot about need for common ground amp - hooked up umbilical cable - powered up amps - smoke (literally) came rolling out of speakers. It is an experience I'll never forget and don't want to repeat. Thanks again

The simplest way to tell is to take a VOM or DMM and measure for continuity between the speaker negative (-) terminals and the chassis. With a common ground amplifier, this will look like a short - because it is.

Back
Top Bottom