MC 2120 opinions please!!!!

I need some honest opinions on the MC 2120 amp ? worth 600.00?

The MC 2120 was my first Mc amplifier. It was heavy, rugged and sounded great. You could tell when it really started working when the BIG PG lamps would flicker prominently (these models has oversized Power Guard lamps). There were scrapes on the front aluminum panel so I ordered a new one. Easy replacement. If the amp is in good physical condition, i.e. little or no rust or corrosion.. I'd say go ahead and pull the trigger. It will deliver that big, transformer coupled McIntosh sound.

http://www.berners.ch/McIntosh/de/MC2120.htm

-Gregory

Last edited:
They are very nice 2nd generation solid state and feature a full complementary output with pnp and npn output transistors. Mc solid state are not really transformer coupled as the auto transformer has only one winding and doesn’t isolate the output stage from the speakers. It is more an impedance matching device.

Yes, it is worth it if it is very clean. I sold a near mint one last year for $600, and it was the nicest I had ever seen.

It is a 2125 without the meters. So you know you are getting a quality piece. It does not have panlocs, but you can just 'lay' it inside a walnut cab.

Make sure it is clean, and if you don't like it you can get your money back.

I'd like to buy another one. Then the system would look like this!!

C33_system_diagram.png

-Gregory

I sold a really nice one on ebay two years ago for $599 but I also recapped all internal caps and replaced the four front panel lamps. There was no rust, dents or ding and the front panel was very nice.

I picked one of these yesterday and I think $600 is the upper end. It's built like a tank and is obviously very robust. I'm using it through my MA-6200 which is a tad underpowered for my needs. A nice amp indeed. It just doesn't have the pretty meters. I'm happy and that's all that matters.

I owned a 2125 which, as has been pointed out, is the same amp without the meters. I loved mine. Used with efficient speakers, it’s a monster. It’s a fairly robust amp, probably maxes out at about 155w/pc.
If the one you’re looking at is pristine, I’d say go for it. $600 doesn’t by much Mac these days.

Here are some pics. Running Boston T-1000's currently and will soon be adding my ADS L-1290's back into this mix. The MA-6200 at 75WPC was just a tad undersized in power so this thing fit the bill nicely. Just like my MC-50's that are supposed to be 50 WPC, the reality is that they put out 75 & 80 WPC just before clipping. So I wouldn't be surprised if the 2120 is putting out more like the 150.

(excuse the crappy iPhone pics! They show all the warts very well though! Like dust, my mortal enemy in this house!)

Attachments

• photo(17).jpg
    photo(17).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 213
  • photo(18).jpg
    photo(18).jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 170
  • photo(19).jpg
    photo(19).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 169
  • photo(20).jpg
    photo(20).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 200
You might be able to get an MC2200 for only $100-$200 more. Plain version of MC2205. Looks just like the MC2120 but taller (and heavier).

Back
Top Bottom