1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

MC 2125 meters dark in center

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by Jack Fedor, Jul 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jack Fedor

Jack Fedor New Member

I could use some help with the meters in my 2125 they are brownish in the center when they are on.I have replaced the lamps with blue led's but still the same.Is there a paper in between the lamps and the rear of the meters and how do I replace them

Please register to disable this ad.

2. c_dk

c_dk Addicted Member

Very very carefully......the lamp housing will fall apart if you fuss with them in almost all cases. Years ago I believe I posted pics of Mc2125 lamp cases in dozens of pieces.

That said there are 3 gels that make up the color for the meters located inside the light boxes. The clearest least tinted ones turn brown, they are usually between the two colored ones which leads me to believe it is not caused by heat but by UV.

3. MACKIE1975

MACKIE1975 Well-Known Member

Picture please.

4. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

[​IMG]

Oh, wait ... were you talkin' to me? <G>

Discolored gels are a fairly common problem though ...

5. clinic-audio

clinic-audio all on YAMAHA untill 1990

Hello

using led is understandable but I will not recommend it . Your problem is coming from the gel , it is burned and turn to brown ...
    Regarding heat in the light boxes all problem disapear with manufacturing them in the right material

MC2125-and-MC2155-meter-housing.JPG MC2125-MC2155-meter-housing-new.JPG MC2125-MC2155-meter-housing-new-inside-view.JPG MC2125-meter-rear-view.JPG

ossidian likes this.
  6. MACKIE1975

MACKIE1975 Well-Known Member

Where can you get the re-manufacture box? That is sleek.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. VintageMac

VintageMac McIntosh Junkie

Patrice makes them!

Larry

8. whitebuffalo

whitebuffalo New Member

I need a couple of the meter cases also, where can you get them. I am just now getting into McIntosh, bought a MC2125 at a very good price at a garage sale. And of course I then had to buy a C38 to go with it. I was replacing bulbs on the 2125 and noticed that it has no filters inside the meter, just a piece of blue tinted glass in the front. Any help would be great. Also notice a couple of diodes where cooked on the meter board so I have ordered a service manual.

9. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

While you're in there, be sure and clean the wire terminals at the back. Well known for causing intermittent problems,

[​IMG]

10. whitebuffalo

whitebuffalo New Member

sKiZo, thanks for the heads up. I will definitely do this, anything else you can think of?