MC-2205 and Autoformer question

Cleve

My Klipsch CF-4's are rated for 8 ohms impedance, and ever since I received my Mac Mc-2205 about a month ago, I've left the speakers hooked to the 8 ohm taps on the Mac.

I had read that the CF-4 impedance is actually lower than 8 ohms, so I was curious and last night switched over to the 4 ohm taps on the McIntosh.

The CF-4's were noticeably louder (I changed one side at a time!) and the sound quality still seemed excellent. Today at lunch, I pushed the amp somewhat hard with a rock CD with heavy, well recorded drums and bass. Usually, after a few minutes, with the speakers on the 8 ohm taps, the top vent on the amp's case feels significantly warmer. However, with the 4 ohm taps, it was significantly cooler, hardly any temperature rise at all.

My question to the group - is this a good idea or bad? Are there any negative consequences to this hook up? Thanks for your help.

I would say the 4 ohm tap is correct in your system. If the amp is louder on the 4 ohm tap you were close to current limiting on the 8 ohm tap. You did the right thing trying the different taps on your system and a cool amp is a happy amp.

Ron-C

Back
Top Bottom