MC-2205 - I joined the club!

Should I stain the cabinet black and give it a glossy finish?

• Hell yes!

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • no, keep it original, you heretic

Votes: 26 72.2%
  • i don't give a rat's ass what you do

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
tyvm! some good stuff - i don't think i'm going to get too hands-on with this, but i think some blue leds will wake up the sea-green colour of my meters....a couple kits on ebay for reasonable price....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-bulbs-l...387216?hash=item41b77e6150:g:a3cAAOSwKOJYJKHU

no affiliation....

well, i'd say i dropped it off for a recap and other service, but 'dropped off' fails to convey the ridiculous heft of this amplifier. i have a/v furniture problems when it returns, going to need space for another TT and this R2R machine too. gah.

update - LED upgrade kit ordered.
Please let us know how these work out. I have a new face plate for the 2205 and I am thinking about doing the lamps while I am in there. How this kit works as well as blue or white LEDs are the big questions on my mind.

Please let us know how these work out. I have a new face plate for the 2205 and I am thinking about doing the lamps while I am in there. How this kit works as well as blue or white LEDs are the big questions on my mind.
i'll be sure to take lots of photos when it's done. the kit i ordered had all LEDs (whereas some have a combo of led and long-life bulbs) and also new gels for the glass.

Years ago I also acquired a MC2205. I replaced gel filters, feet, resistors, caps, installed the new McIntosh Black Caps (with the gold McIntosh lettering) and New Faceplate without bezel and installed newer (part number 018-612) McIntosh end caps.

MC2205A.jpg
Mc2205B.jpg
MC2205.jpg

Last edited:
Years ago I also acquired a MC2205. I replaced gel filters, feet, resistors, caps, installed the new McIntosh Black Caps (with the gold McIntosh lettering) and New Faceplate without bezel and installed newer (part number 018-612) McIntosh end caps.

View attachment 945905
View attachment 945906
View attachment 945903
that really modernizes the look for sure. i'll be a few weeks before i see mine back. i also have the walnut case, although it looks pretty nice naked....but i don't have the feet so it's gonna have to live in it's shell when it returns.

gives me some time to figure out shelving

Thanks, damacman. A good friend of mine liked it so much he did the same to his, even added the new style end caps to his MR-78. I also updated my C-28 with matching end caps and newer knobs.
62caddy has a MC2105 with newer style knobs and end caps installed as well.

Last edited:
Thanks, damacman. A good friend of mine liked it so much he did the same to his, even added the new style end caps to his MR-78. I also updated my C-28 with matching end caps and newer knobs.
62caddy has a MC2105 with newer style knobs and end caps installed as well.
When were these knobs replaced? Ten, fifteen years ago? Try doing that today.

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous. I have been contemplating the new end caps to match my MX-132. Your photos pushed me over the edge. The new face plate will get the new caps as well.

When were these knobs replaced? Ten, fifteen years ago? Try doing that today.

Knobs were replaced about 5 years ago on MC-2205 and last year on the C-28. They are available from McIntosh.The Mcintosh MA 6450, MA6800 uses similar knobs (two piece) as well as other newer McIntosh units, one just needs to do their recon.

Last edited:
Pic of MR-78 (friends) with newer end caps and bezel removed to match the updated MC-2205. I understand he sold it to a member of AK.

mr78.jpg

i can see the endcaps are a major change, as with the bezel deletion.....but the knobs don't seem all that different

I have an C34V, MC2120 and MR78 that I consider a set. I replaced the end pieces of the MC2120 and MR78 with end pieces that matched the C34V. I got them from RR ARTifacts. They look great as a set. My C34V is one of the first versions with the longer knobs like the C33. They are identical to those of the amp and tuner.

Knobs were replaced about 5 years ago on MC-2205 and last year on the C-28. They are available from McIntosh.The Mcintosh MA 6450, MA6800 uses similar knobs (two piece) as well as other newer McIntosh units, one just needs to do their recon.

I see from the picture that the MA6450 knobs do look iidentical to the MR78. Can anyone provide the part numbers of five knobs to convert an MR77 to MR78 style? The four knobs across the bottom are bigger than MR78 knobs. I already have an extra set of C34V end pieces.

I see from the picture that the MA6450 knobs do look iidentical to the MR78. Can anyone provide the part numbers of five knobs to convert an MR77 to MR78 style? The four knobs across the bottom are bigger than MR78 knobs. I already have an extra set of C34V end pieces.

This the look you're going for?
mr77.jpg

Back
Top Bottom