MC-2205 - I joined the club!

Should I stain the cabinet black and give it a glossy finish?

• Hell yes!

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • no, keep it original, you heretic

Votes: 26 72.2%
  • i don't give a rat's ass what you do

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
The part numbers for the bass/treble/volume knobs on the MA6450: 090-215 ($20 each) are in stock.

Last edited:
well, just to keep things going - while my amp is at the doctor, i have been playing around with some test finishes for some MC-2205-related projects. Have a client that needs some networking gear mounted on a panel at their office, so i thought i would see what some ebony stain looks like, rather than just paint it white. Gonna do another coat and then some poly. I definately could have done a better job sanding, but don't care, not getting paid for this.

IMG_20170610_150001.jpg

while i have your attention, does anyone know the total height of a MC-2205 in it's slant-leg cabinet?

Attachments

• IMG_20170610_150001.jpg
    IMG_20170610_150001.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 3
Very nice - the amp looks great!

Now, would you be so kind as to correct the typo in your above post? I believe you may have meant $30 and not $300 . . . let us hope . . .

Very nice - the amp looks great!

Now, would you be so kind as to correct the typo in your above post? I believe you may have meant $30 and not $300 . . . let us hope . . .

i'm sorry DaMacMan, i was only a little off. it was not $299, it was $249. AND my unit is setup for bi-wire bananas, and theirs is not. I would say that i'm taking orders now, but to their credit, the amount of work finishing this thing is well worth the money, at least for my time, it is....still it was fun, and i got to use some vintage, solid copper terminals (with copper nuts and washers) from my parts bucket, and I'm fresh out of those.

here's a link
http://www.audioclassics.com/detail?detail=OUTPOST&nav=cat
and a pic
249.jpg

i'm sorry DaMacMan, i was only a little off. it was not $299, it was $249. AND my unit is setup for bi-wire bananas, and theirs is not. I would say that i'm taking orders now, but to their credit, the amount of work finishing this thing is well worth the money, at least for my time, it is....still it was fun, and i got to use some vintage, solid copper terminals (with copper nuts and washers) from my parts bucket, and I'm fresh out of those.

here's a link
http://www.audioclassics.com/detail?detail=OUTPOST&nav=cat
and a pic
View attachment 982289
Not to take anything away from YOUR work at all! I'm with you all the way.

Not to take anything away from YOUR work at all! I'm with you all the way.
thanks, i had lots of time to plan while i was waiting for the recap and enLEDing of my amp. can't wait until the next day off when i can put it through an endurance test....and i am pleased with the results so far.

glad you like the terminal block, it started out as a 8' 4x2" rough maple board, $4. I am sure i should have got the nicer grade of finished board, it would have saved a lot of sanding. i'm not sure where the terminals are from exactly, i found them at a surplus store that was more pile than store. i have seen newer ones for sale, but they are clearly bad copies, like a poor casting or something, and I'm pretty sure they're plated, rather than solid. i have not really searched exhaustively, i was fine with a couple white ones. anyway i stained it with a walnut stain, and i think there's 4 layers of poly on there, mostly because i messed up at least 3 times.

i am sure that the terminals AC uses are much fancier than mine, and i didn't put spades anywhere, it's bared, continuous wire from one terminal to the next, and then bare wire into the terminals on the mac. i figured the fewer crimp connections, the better, so i skipped the spades.

so far my only regret is not putting some danish teak oil on the case before hoisting it in there.

Your LED conversion looks outstanding. Well done.
thanks - i can't take credit, all i did was buy the LED kit and haul the thing to a recommended technician....however, there is an issue - seems this morning the PG normal lights are both out. I've spoken to him, bringing all 100lbs of it back to him tomorrow night. at least this will give me a chance to put a few coats of teak oil on the cabinet.

fyi, the non-working PG lights could be resistor on the power supply board vs. light bulb.
i actually just went over there and he cleared off his bench and had a look at it. one of the replacement caps had too short a lead on it and it snapped off. it was repaired, and we changed the PG lamps back to the original style for good measure...it was working when i left, i just sat down, i don't think i'll be hooking it back up tonight. way too tired.

well, it's back. after i hooked it up on sunday, one of the meters died, so i took it back a 3rd time (remember how this amp weighs 95lbs? i won't forget).

he's had it on test for much of the week, and i've got it back today, so far, so good. here's some pics in the darkness, in its recently refinished case.

IMG_20170818_224044.jpg IMG_20170818_224106.jpg IMG_20170818_224146.jpg IMG_20170818_224156.jpg

It's a bit hard to tell from the photos but that appears to be a very clean example. The LEDs look sharp. Time for me to upgrade ALL my Mc Amps with 'em.

It's a bit hard to tell from the photos but that appears to be a very clean example. The LEDs look sharp. Time for me to upgrade ALL my Mc Amps with 'em.
indeed, damacphotos seem to be suffering from AK's resizing "feature". i tells ya, it's like the site is run by a clown, or some cowboy from Texas or something.

I assure you they look plenty sharp in their original resolution. lets see if i can get some better pix in the daylight & with some photoshop trimming.

day.jpg night.jpg

ok, i'm not so sure this helps, but the site allows only 800x600 resolution, so unless i want to host my own images, this is what you get....i've basically cut 2 800x600 chunks out of my photos to see the detail in both daylight (left) and at night (right). the front of the amp is not receiving direct sunlight in the photos, but there is camera flash, so it might be a good indicator. I am very sure it looks a whole lot cleaner than it did with the original bulbs....and the meters have gone from a sea green colour to a nice rich blue.

as well, i'm working on a video for the 'video your system' thread, so there's some footage of this unit in operation in that, i'll cross-post it here too, since it'll be hosted on youtube, and won't use any of AK's GrumpyBytes.

also, it's become clear that i need to dust, yet again.

I noticed on my pix posts that white balance influences colors significantly. When I posted the vid of my system, the white balance changed all over the place. Sometimes the meters were more green and sometimes more blue. Color temperature shifts. BTW, glad you are back up and running. I can feel your pain hoisting the beasts!

I kept the incandescent lamps on the panel for my amplifiers to retain the teal nomenclature color, but the blue still looks good too.

Back
Top Bottom