Mc 225 amp and preamp question

Chris11123

hey everyone i can get the two above for 500 which seems pretty compared good to ebays prices. How should i go about testing them at the guys place? He also has a pair of klisch fortes for sale for 350. This sounds pretty good to me but what do guys think??

a mc225 and preamp ? for $500.id be over there as fast as possible.definately a steal at that price if theyre working.just curious what model preamp is it? as for the forte i cant comment but im sure someone will chime in with a response.
chris

hey if anyone knows whats the difference of version one fortes and version 2s? i got the serial number off the guy and its

maybe 86 is the year? meaning 1st edition?

Fortes are well regarded within the classic Klipsch lineup, the Forte (I) you're looking at are '86 models, built in the 38th week of that year, and were built between '85 to '89...see:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=113

Forte IIs were later built from '89 until '96 when they were discontinued entirely, replaced I believe with the present Reference Series lineup...see:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=117

Never having auditioned a pair, I can't personally comment on their sonics, but on the Klipsch Forums you'll read many good reviews on either model, and they still command a high resale value they're that desirable. If the pair you're looking at are in nice shape, then $350 is a steal...grab 'em while you can!:)

I just got myself a pair of Forte IIs in lieu of a pair of Linn speakers I've used for nearly 15 years.

Going back to Klipsch (owned Cornwalls before that) made me notice some of the things that I've been missing, that I really like. Namely, the Fortes produce a "big" sound that has lots of energy and drive. Fills out the room very nicely. 99db/w/m effeciency makes them mate well with low-powered tube amplification.

My Linns admitedly are more accurate, more detailed, more like true monitors, but I just find the Fortes more fun to listen to.

As they say: YMMV. Personal listening preferences, I'm sure, have a lot to do with it. Anyways, $350 is an excellent price, they can go as high as $650 if in excellent condition. Typical is $500. Deserves at least an audition.

FYI the IIs by comparison use a newer Tractrix horn which smooths out the mids compared to the original Forte Is which use an exponential mid-range horn, and the IIs also have a 15' passive radiator which extends the bass down to 32Hz vs. a 42hz cutoff in the Is B-R design. In theory and practice, the IIs should be better, but there are some on the Forums who prefer the Is. So there you go.

Also, check out the Klipsch Forum as jt1stcav mentions. A lot of cheap tweaks you can do (which I am in the midst of doing myself). These include upgrading the caps in the xover, as well improving some of the internal damping/wiring. These were built to a cost-point way back when, and improve quite a lot with some TLC.

Last edited:
what a jackass this guy was

Hey he gives me an email yesterday telling me someone else is interested in the stuff and just sells right under me. Oh well he doesnt know how much profit they will make off him.

By the way anyone around boston have any tips on where to get vintage stuff.

Back
Top Bottom