Mc 2275 with problems

Eugenio

Hello. I write you from Spain. I have a new 2275 McIntosh tube integrated amplifier and I have been used it for three months without problems and with a good sound. The speakers are Monitor Audio with 8 ohms of impedance. I changed all the tubes (previous and power, to store the originals McIntosh) and the general current in the flat switched off, so I switched on again and happened nothing; of course, I didn't like it... What do you thing it happened?
The problem has come when I have just bought an Audio Physic Tempo (New model) with 4 ohms of impedance. After 6 hours of use of the new speakers, during the warm up of the tubes (the ampli wasn't giving sound), I heard a big crack in the speaker of the left channel; after this, I noticed the speaker doesn't sound O.K. (voices seem to get out of an old radio) and besides, the blue meter offers a low level of potence. Please, can you help me? I am very worry about all this thing. Thank you very much to eveybody who wants to help me. :worried:

Have you tried warranty service? I assume there's a McIntosh authorized representative in Spain. If not you may want to contact McIntosh directly.

This is no trivial piece of gear and I am sure McIntosh would take care of the situation.

Since it's a new unit, I wouldn't tinker much with it.

my 2 cents...

I'm afraid I haven't warranty; I bought it trough Internet and perhaps I haven't been lucky. I am trying to repair it here in my country, so I must know the person able to do it. Regards from Eugenio

Yes, unfortunately the warranty is not transferrable. However, it doesn't hurt to try them just in case. You'd be surprised at the level of customer service they provide.

You may want to ask them [McIntosh] for a list of authorized service centers in Spain or a nearby country.

Given the sophistication (and value) of this equipment I would not trust its repair to any regular "serviceman".

Good luck!
crooner

You mentioned having replaced the original McIntosh tubes which came with the MA2275 with some other tubes. Have you tried switching back to the original McIntosh tubes to see if the problem is possibly with the replacement tubes you used?

According the the McIntosh web site. there is no authorized service center is Spain. There is an authorized service center in France.

Is The Line Voltage Set Correctly?

This is probably a dumb question to ask, but since you say you bought it off the Internet, is the voltage set corrrectly for your country?

It's possible it might be a 120V unit that needs to be changed to 240V for your country. McIntosh's are so well built and over-engineered I could see this baby running for a few months on twice the normal line voltage (if that is the problem) before something breaks. :cool:

Oh no, I am using a transformer specifically made for the Mac. Besides, I put the old tubes (the McIntosh) again, and the problem is there.

elling said:
You mentioned having replaced the original McIntosh tubes which came with the MA2275 with some other tubes. Have you tried switching back to the original McIntosh tubes to see if the problem is possibly with the replacement tubes you used?

According the the McIntosh web site. there is no authorized service center is Spain. There is an authorized service center in France.

Yes, I did it, and the amp goes on with its bad sound on the left channel. Perhaps some internal circuit has broken; don't you think so? Regards.

Oh, hello. I don't know what are the white resistors. I am sure the original tubes are new; perhaps the problem came with the change of the new tubes. They are:
two tubes type CV4024 KQDD/K instead the 12AT7 (perhaps here is the problem), four tubes type CV4017 (General Electric) instead the 12AX7A, and four power tubes Svetlana. I friend told me that the BIAS has probably broken (?)
I would like to ask to Ron-C, but I sent two e-mails and I haven't received answer. Regards.

Eugenio
. There's no bias on a MC275/MA2275 McIntosh amp.
. Open your amp and you will these white resistors
. It's "CES time" in Las Vegas ... & Ron-C should be there

Hi Eugenio,
Sorry to hear of your troubles. :worried:
You can email or fax McIntosh direct as well. At the bottom of the linked page is all the contact information. The customer support here in the US is truly superb.
Good Luck!

Carl
ooops, forgot
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/parts_service.aspx

Last edited:
Eugenio said:
The problem has come when I have just bought an Audio Physic Tempo (New model) with 4 ohms of impedance. After 6 hours of use of the new speakers, during the warm up of the tubes (the ampli wasn't giving sound), I heard a big crack in the speaker of the left channel; after this, I noticed the speaker doesn't sound O.K. (voices seem to get out of an old radio) and besides, the blue meter offers a low level of potence.
Eugenio, have you tried the speakers with another amplifier? I wonder if a crossover part (capacitor) in the speakers popped... Even if the problem started in the speaker, it could have presented a problem to the amplifier...

?Do'nde en Espan~a vives? Vivi' en Madrid hace muchos an~os.

Vivo en Sevilla. Equipo:
Cd player: Audio Analogue
Amp: McIntosh 2275
Cables: Tara Labs
Speakers: Audio Physic Tempo New

Back
Top Bottom