Mc 2300

rgrjit8

Mental Toss Flycoon
Well, I looked and I don't see a thread devoted to this model yet, so here it is.

I'll be unpacking mine finally in a couple weeks to give it an eyeball and a listen. It's too bad the only speakers I have to hook up to it will be a pair of Klipsch Heresies. I hope I don't poof them.

But here is why I'm really posting. Look at this photo closely. Do any questions come into your mind.
I'll let you think about it a day before I tell you what confuses me about it.
There may be a simple explanation, I don't know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ndexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Why?

My audio knowledge is very limited. The gain positions are at 10 vs 3 left and right why?

Yes, exactly!

Why are the gain knobs set in wildly different positions, yet the meter deflections are the same?

With any luck it just means that the set screw on the gain knob has lost it's grip and needs to be centered on the post.

I almost bought a Mac 2600 a few years ago. The meters weren't deflecting equally. When i pointed this out the salesman he just reached into his pocket for a small screwdriver and adjusted the meter sensitivity right in front of me like I was some kind of idiot. I could HEAR the difference between channels!

Anyway, I just wanted to hear myself talk I guess.

A 2300 on a set of Heresy speakers; a bit of overkill. THey are rated at 100 watts rms. You may want to add a fuse so you don't fry the coils. They do melt when overloaded.

There's nothing I can do for now. I gave my JBL L-45 Flairs to my daughter. I'm just gonna have to be verrry careful.

I'll actually mate the Heresies with a lower power amp I've got, but I won't be able to rest until I check out that Mac.

All right to spare everyone the suspense, here are the items waiting in storage at my sister's house. I bought this stuff on Ebay and had it shipped to her 1) to save on shipping and customs fees and 2) to placate sellers who hate the hassle of shipping overseas.
These items have been sitting between 1 and 4 years and have never been opened. I don't even know if I've been ripped off or if they have arrived in one piece.

They are:

Power amps:
McIntosh Mc 2300
Audio Research D-100
Audio Research D-100B
Philips 578
Bose CA 1801

Crown VFX2A crossover

In addition, I have a Denon DP 35 turntableand my modest vinyl collection, and a Sony EL-7 Elcaset deck as sources.

NO PREAMP

I'll have to buy or borrow a cheapie when I get back.
I leave May first.

Last edited:
It's a pretty unit, but all the bolt holes on the faceplate are all scared up.

$175 for shipping in the US ?:eek:

Looking at the pic it would worry me as well. That is not normal. The faceplate needs a little touch up and the side rails are missing, but all in all it isn't in horrible shape. I suspect it needs some servicing. I have seen the opamps fail in the meter circuitry on MC2500s before and that will cause the meters to do all manner of strange things.

Forget about finding side rails from the standard places. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, etc.

$175 for shipping? He must be figuring in the price of the shipping carton. New cartons from Mc were $90.00 the last time I checked.

I cannot stress strongly enough the necessity for shipping those amps in original Mc cartons.

Fuse those speakers if you want them around a while. You might want to change to Neutrik RCAs if there is any chance that any of the plugs could get pulled out while the amp is on.

Speakers that are rated for 100 watts continuous should handle 2-3 times that on an occasional peak basis. Mine are rated at 250 watts and have run 600 watts through them on peaks without incident. They are fused at 4 amps.

The Mac in the photo isn't mine just in case anyone is confused. Mine is even uglier.

I don't know yet if I"ll be selling any of the stuff from my sister's basement.

Back
Top Bottom