1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

MC 2505 Filter Caps

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by Matt's Dad, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Matt's Dad

Matt's Dad New Member

I have a MC 2505 that I'd like to replace the 39000uf filter caps on it. The caps are original and are 40 years old. The replacements from McIntosh Labs are $100. each. Has anyone replaced the filter caps with something available from Mouser of Digi-Key? Would you mind sharing the brand and Part number?

Thanks!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

DO you have the physical size handy.
    In mm?
    Diameter and height?

3. c_dk

c_dk Addicted Member

I believe the MC2505's main caps are 9300 mfd while a MC2205s are 39000. There is a considerable size and voltage difference. Further clarification is needed.

4. Matt's Dad

Matt's Dad New Member

My Bad! You are correct! I'm looking for the MC 2505 9300 mfd -10 +75 45 VDC 65 Surge type.. I understand that they can be of a larger capacitance than the 9300 mfd. Physical size is 2 5/8 in tall x 2 7/16 in wide. I've done a search on the Mouser web site and see some possibilities but I was fishing for someone who had actually bought a viable replacement and had installed them. I want to do this as a preventive measure. The caps are a bit over 40 years old now.

5. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

That's what threw me. I didn't think the 2505 was similar to the 2205.

6. MACKIE1975

MACKIE1975 Well-Known Member

Did you get a direct quote from Mcintosh?
    It should cost $20.00 each

7. Searing75

Searing75 AK Subscriber Subscriber

The caps from Mouser will be fine. Wonderful. In fact, they are probably the same ones McIntosh sells? Just slap their name on them?

8. MACKIE1975

MACKIE1975 Well-Known Member

The issue is finding the right dimension and configuration

9. Matt's Dad

Matt's Dad New Member

Mackie, you are right on! I was hoping that SOMEONE had already accomplished the deed and could tell me which ones they used. New ones from McIntosh cost $100 ea.

10. SaturationPt

SaturationPt AK Subscriber Subscriber

Use the original value, don't increase the capacitance. McIntosh Engineers would have increased the capacitance if it improved the performance of the amplifier. The 2505 is rated at 50wpc but if you were around "in the day" and took your amp to a McIntosh clinic, you would probably have walked away with a test sheet showing at least 70wpc without clipping.

If you feel that for some reason the Engineers chose a smaller cap to save a dollar, at the expense of decreased performance, I'd like to see your data. That might describe a 2000 box-store surround system well, but certainly not a 1970s McIntosh.

Increasing capacitance can have detrimental effects (unintended consequences) as the correct capacitors are designed into the rest of the circuit with the max. inrush current considered, and the max. available surge current considered. Unless you are able to either install a current-limiting circuit or understand the interactions between all of the amplifier's components, I suggest not changing values. I worry more about the power switches on this early McIntosh gear.

11. c_dk

c_dk Addicted Member

After seeing your original post and then the clarifying one I reached for my phone to call Seacliff's friend who reps for Mousers parent company.

No answer. A group buy for a cap that would fit not only the 2505 but also the 5100, 1900, 6100 etc would make sense. I think the minimum is at least 2 dozen caps.

12. mnmmt

mnmmt AK Subscriber Subscriber

I would definitely be interested in that group buy. Every time I have checked Mouser, they've been out (I think the part I was looking at using on my MC250 was Cornell-Dubilier DCM962U075CC2B, 9600uf, 75v, 1 1/8 lead spacing, about $24 a piece).

13. jbailey930

jbailey930 AK Member Subscriber

Would these also apply to MC250? I imagine my 1900 is in need, so I would be in too. Thanks

14. c_dk

c_dk Addicted Member

I believe the units I mentioned all used the same cap, and yes i should have added the 250. The posted suggested cap is too tall, I believe.

15. SaturationPt

SaturationPt AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm in for a pair if OE specs.

16. psychoaudio

psychoaudio I didn't do it Subscriber

Did the group buy happen? Can it still happen ? I’m in..

17. paulram

paulram Well-Known Member

a

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  18. paulram

paulram Well-Known Member

I called CDE today and spoke to a nice lady regarding that part (066-405) and it came up as a 15000uf 75v cap. Funny though she could not find it it under the numbers on the can itself . There is a mc 250 on ebay and I was able to zoom and see those values as well. My only option is to get it from Mc. HOWEVER I was able to find a 9300uf 50v from Mouser which should work with a slight modification for fitment. The CDE part number is DCM932U50BH2A . The screw spacing is a tad smaller.

19. clinic-audio

clinic-audio all on YAMAHA untill 1990

Hello guys

I think it is time to inform you that buying parts from some places and not the factory is a great risk .
    You always think about price but did you ask yourself why the factory charge you this price and some other places very "attractive prices " ?
    Did you think twice about the safety ?
    Don't forget that the factory will never supply you " no insulated " electrolytic capacitors !
    recently I check in a MC2125 electrolytic capacitors who fit in place (the guy make a biggest hole in chassis to fit them in place !!!) of original type but if you make a simple measurement between chassis and the top of the capacitors , you will get + 40V DC and - 40VDC on the other one .....:yikes: (much more on more powerfull amplifiers)

I let you just imagine if one audio cable fall on the top of capacitors ? it will just explode :eek2:

because you short it to ground and it will not like that at all !!

You do what you want , this is your amp , you money , and your time

this story is true for all models of MCINTOSH amplifiers !

ron-c likes this.
  20. avguytx

avguytx AK Subscriber Subscriber

The tech in Little Rock that finished out my MC250 tested the stock caps and they were both within spec. So, he pulled out the 22,000uf caps I'd bought, and installed, from Mouser. He said I could put them back in if I wanted but I haven't and probably won't. But they fit great and were recommended by another tech on this forum as well. I guess I need to list those in Barter Town as Mouser won't take them back and I don't need them now.