1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

MC 30's Cracked Capacitators Shrill Sound

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by zenarrrow, Nov 7, 2018.

1. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Well-Known Member

As stated, on my pair or MC 30's the caps are visually cracked (the big bumble bees)
    I bought these about 6 months ago this way and from the moment I got them the sound has been shrill and top end seems to be cut off.
    What caps should I use to replace these old bumble bees? I know original ones would be ideal, but not gonna happen.
    I will post some pictures of them from my phone. I wouldn't mind sending these off to be gone through by a professional. But finding one seems to be a challenge. I sent Terry DeWick an email but thus far no response. Anyone have any suggestions on who to send them to? Thanks, Zen

Please register to disable this ad.

2. smartin53

smartin53 Well-Known Member

Sprague Orange Drop caps (715/716 series) have been a common and well regarded replacement for those bumblebees. Tis what I used when I recapped the MC240 and various other amps with good results.

[​IMG]

Bill Ferris, ron-c and Pio1980 like this.
  3. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Well-Known Member

Denver eh? Heading there around thanksgiving. Know of anyone around that area who works on gear around there? I live in Wyoming, closer to Utah though.

4. smartin53

smartin53 Well-Known Member

So I know Vacuum Tube Supplies Inc here works on vintage stuff like that. They had a shop full of equipment being repaired when I picked up some tubes. I don't know their track record but they seemed like a rather honest shop (aka very down to business and not very flashy). You can look em up here http://www.vacuumtubesupplies.com/

zenarrrow likes this.
  5. Brice

Brice AK Subscriber Subscriber

Multicap RTX. By far.