MC classic tube amps- age, reliability, collectors etc

brad44

My question is in regards to the classics mc's, 225,240,275,30,60 etc.... they are all old, like most of us.

Do you feel these can be depended on as long term daily drivers after recapping?
When does the collector value of these go out the window when you start replacing parts?
Those that use them on a daily basis, do you get nervous using them for hours on end?

Would love to hear your thoughts about age, reliability, etc.... thanks!

A perfect original example, especially with original packaging and documentation might be worth more as-is to a collector as a time capsule.
Otherwise, a properly refurbed example with quality replacement expendables like tubes, and good controls and sockets should be about as reliable as any equal quality unit.

My refurbished MC60s are daily drivers, and after refurbishment they are functionally new units. Not everyone does a full refurb, but when you do, you're good for another half-century or more.

I do think we are close to or have recently passed an inflection point in the market for these amps, where the expectation for anyone looking to actually use them is going to be that they have been at least minimally refurbished. I was glad to be able to hear my units before buying, in stock condition, but was quite nervous about the seller firing them up. Then after paying, they immediately hit the bench.

There will always be a collector market, for those few who do not intend or ever expect to use the amps. In my view this is actually quite niche, and the vast majority of existing units aren't really viable in that context due to fairly subtle cosmetic issues. Therefore, trying to chase the collectors is IMO a much less satisfying game than properly refurbishing them, getting nearly endless enjoyment, and having impressive durable resale value which will also continue to rise. These refurbished amps do not come up often, because they're in use!

Does "properly refurbished" mean that the unit must look identical before and after the work? Example....does leaving old twist-prongs in place and putting new separate caps underneath "contaminate" it?

What I was implying is that the selenium diode and essentially all the caps need to go, and smart money is to replace all the resistors while you're at it. The carbon comps can't easily be tested and there are much better resistors available today. Partial work retaining some caps or resistors, doesn't really reset the clock.

I'd use appropriate cosmetic caps (Authenticaps) because hangers-on underneath is really unattractive, retain the same layout and the old point to point wires. Usually the tube sockets are better than anything you can buy today already.

Is it not of general consense that not all caps must go but only those of electrolyte and leak prone bumblebee?

Removing all is also removing classic sound.... which i rather have than some person of others opinion of what capacitors sound good.

All resistors too? Seems extreme to Giorgi, maybe just buy or build a new amplifier in lieu of all that, no?

I too am intetersted in these reliablity questions.... good idea for discussion!

The original resistors in the Mac amps I serviced appeared to be Allen Bradley, and most, not all were in spec and those stayed. The striper caps got replaced, along with all elyticaps and the selenium bias rectifier. The Sprague red letter 160P caps were retained.
All sockets should be checked for pin fit and adjusted if necessary. Tubes replaced as needed, output tubes as matched pairs.

We should include MC2505, 250, 2105 ,2100 and of course the Best tube amp Mc ever built in the 20th Century the 3500. After all in 2 years they will be 50 years old. My 2505 is still going strong, though it is operating about 25% the time of the HT system. Considering everything do we all realize what a miracle the Mcintosh story is?. Marantz as an American company is gone as is the original Harmon Kardon. Sure Harmon exsisted as company until just recently, but that company wasn't the old HK. Altec is gone, EV is not a consumer product company any more. Only Klipsch and Mcintosh are left. Every Klipsch and Mac can be restored and made better or as good as new. I wish Empire had been able to stick around for the resurgence of the LP. Thrones, is not the old Thorens either. Tannoy is still with us to a small extent. SME is doing well.

But I miss the Mcintosh people too. Frank M, Gordon, his son Frank Gow, the best Mac salesman ever. The effervescent, friendly and very talented Davie O'brien will be missed the most with Charles Lucas a close second. They were the folks that were the foundation that built Mcintosh. But its folks like Charle R that we have to be most thankful for today. For with out folks like him there would be no new Mac for us to dream about and the fundamental organization to keep our collectables at the top of the most wanted list! Would we still want Mac if it were owned by a oriental company again being built in China, without any knowledge of the original Mcintosh? I wouldn't have just bought my MX 151, MVP 891 or MP-100 for sure. I'd still have my Stereo system, but would be using my once again restored Crown amps. No HT theatre, still with my C-29, with out the C-34, MVP 861, etc etc. But Mac is still alive and I have enjoyed 10 year of new discoveries to date and look for ward to at least another 10. Will Mac survive like GE, Ford or Dodge or will it be the next Duisenberg? Will the original 275 be worth $44,000, then or $44.00?

I should also give a big Hurrah for the folks at Audio Classics and Terry Dewick that keep our units performing like new! For with out them we would truly be lost.

Last edited:
being built in China,
As long as the product is designed and quality control by a US company then it should be good.
The smartphone that you are using now being built in China. Almost all Apple products are built in China.

Last edited:
Mc beat Marantz to market by some years but they were both top drawer in the 1950s.

Ron-C

I think McIntosh was first in 1949. First Marantz product didn't appear until 1952 - the Consolette with a limited trial run of 100 units; the Company was founded the following year.

Back
Top Bottom