Mc preamp question!

WhiteSE

Is Lute Gluten Free??
Subscriber
Ok, I am thinking of buying something along the lines of a C26 because it will drive my future power hungry AKG K-340 headphones...NOw, is this possible?

source to berning pre amp to amp to Mc preamp via speaker wire,,,and so use the C26 volume knob to adjust the volume...

Which other Mc has the ability to drive the headphone thru the speaker wire, and not the internal haedphone amp that I think started coming out with the C28 or 27?

You could use a resistor divider to knock down the voltages to connect as you describe, but I wouldn't. I mean, I just wouldn't. You shouldn't either.

Why not just use a 'Y' connector on the preamp, send one output to the amp, and the other to the C26? Or take the signal from the tape monitor, feed to the C26 and use the volume control on the Mc?

Or.......just buy a good headphone amp and get your signal from a tape monitor. Or....buy a small SS integrated amp and use it exclusively as a headphone amp (which is what one of my Kenwood KA-5500's is doing). Any of those solutions is better and safer for your gear than stealing voltage from the speaker connections.

the headphone jack in the C26 wont drive the headphones unless speakers are connected to it...

I have been looking at some headphone amps..You are right about using some integrated, but I want something that will do justice to the headphones...

Why not use the C28 headphone amp? Alternatively, there are 600ohm outputs on the back of the C26. You could make a cable and use them directly.

Originally posted by WhiteSE
the headphone jack in the C26 wont drive the headphones unless speakers are connected to it...

I have been looking at some headphone amps..You are right about using some integrated, but I want something that will do justice to the headphones...
Ohhh....the C26 has it's own voltage drop setup. I see :stupid: Guess I was being dense.

I suppose that would work fine, but a whole Mc preamp just to use one headphone jack and a resistor? Kind of a waste, but I guess it would look impressive.

Yep, you could do that. Still, you should consider a dedicated headphone amp, or an integrated amp of your choice with headphones driven from its output stage and getting its signal from, say, the tape monitor of the Berning, or a 'Y' cable at the output of the Berning. It would give you a bit more flexability.

Back
Top Bottom