MC1.25KW - no ordinary amps, thank you McIntosh!

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by joeinid, Jan 2, 2018.

1. joeinid

joeinid AK Subscriber Subscriber

The amp fairy arrived today. What a way to start a wonderful new year. Thank you McIntosh for building great products.

A special shout out to jimimac for his support and careful attention to his job. Without gentleman like him, McIntosh would not survive.

Thank you. I’m loving these babies .

EF4E539C-F71C-4894-B101-CDA638E655F7.jpeg

Archguy, 'cisco, jblnut and 5 others like this.
  2. bberkom

bberkom AK Subscriber Subscriber

What a meter. Bet they sound nice.

joeinid likes this.
  3. joeinid

It took a few hours from cold out of the box to start to open up and bloom. I’m sure I’ll experience some improvements over the next few days, weeks but right now I’m ecstatic.

stish likes this.
  4. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected

You don’t mess around - congratulations!

joeinid likes this.
  5. joeinid

Thank you so much. The original 1.2kw amps were a dream, glad I could not afford them until now :)

jimimac and 4-2-7 like this.
  6. bberkom

What speakers are you using with them?

joeinid likes this.
  7. joeinid

SF Strads for now. When I can straighten up, JBL 4367 are next and then Revel Studio2.

stish and 4-2-7 like this.
  8. bberkom

Man what a lineup. That'll provide some fun.

joeinid likes this.
  9. joeinid

The meters light up the whole room :)

Call me shallow, McIntosh knows what they are doing. Like a moth to a flame.

darkblue94 and 4-2-7 like this.
  10. joeinid

It’s been a long time since I’ve heard the original MC1.2KW amps but the new MC1.25KW amps are not like them. These seem faster, cleaner, bigger in soundstage etc.. Kind of like the MC601/452 on steroids or like MC2KW-lite amps. They seem to straddle the line between them. Damn.

ron-c likes this.
  11. Velocityboat

Velocityboat Well-Known Member

Great way to start the New Year.! Looking forward to hear which speakers you like best with the statement amps. In this cold spell my big McIntosh monos have ran continuously. I bet there is no sleep in your horizon and your furnace will be arm wrestling for BTUs with those babies. They look better than on the website. Have fun and congratulations!

joeinid likes this.
  12. joeinid

Thank you so very much. I’ve been going crazy since I knew they were updated. I’m happy for sure.

4-2-7 likes this.
  13. spinroch

spinroch Unspecified Life Form Subscriber

So Pretty!

joeinid likes this.
  14. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

joeinid likes this.
  15. Mike Gibson

Mike Gibson Modulator Super Mod Subscriber

Congratulations Joe. You should be set for a long time now.

joeinid likes this.
  16. joeinid

Those are very nice amp stands. I have the amps on Auralex great gramma pads sitting on top of dollies for now.

I do have racks where the amps would fit, but I’m not sure if I want to change things up a little.

57DC79AE-FC06-4C48-8C3A-1A18E9747AEF.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  17. joeinid

Going on 20 hours now and the amps continue to get better.

Much bigger soundstage than I’m used to hearing. A veritable wall of sound.

They are beautiful to look at with fit and finish being top notch.

They seem more truthful than some previous McIntosh amps I’ve owned. Bad or not so good source material sounds great but excellent source material sounds amazing. Definitely a more in the room presentation, like I can reach out and touch the band. A great open sound with air around voices and instruments.

There’s barely any heat from these amps. That seems to be typical McIntosh for their solid state amps, but a little extra heat now would be appreciated since it’s so cold in NY. :)

They are dead quiet and ready to give their all in an instant. I don’t want to leave but I need to get back to work.

18. Joeinid, I've never felt "envy" in my life, but I swear your MC1.25KWs are pushing me right up to the threshold. I'm sitting here literally drooling over the thought of turning up the Berlin Philharmonic's performance of Gustav Holst's The Planets (Conducted by Herbert von Karajan) or their rendition of Tchaikovsky's The Nutracker Suite (Conducted by Simon Rattle). Monoblocks like those prove simply the best at reproducing the dynamic range, slam, and impact of a well-executed orchestral performance. I personally listen to just about every genre of music (sans country or blues), but can't imagine how good a live or orchestral recording would sound like while being pushed through a pair of Focal Grande Utopia EM loudspeakers via the MC1.25KWs.

Congratulations on purchasing what most listeners consider "dream" amps and let us know how some of your favorite albums sound.

joeinid likes this.
  19. joeinid

Thank you so much.

One more quick thought. Live, or alive, is a lot like how they sound.

More to come ...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  20. Velocityboat

Velocityboat Well-Known Member

It sounds like they are everything you wanted and more. It is great the amp changed sound stage size so much. What preamp did you settle on running?

My old MC1000s the first McIntosh quad balanced design seem to crank out the heat as did the MC2500s in mono with lots of fan action. I guess I don’t run as efficient speaker as everyone else or push them more. Even my Class D Lyngdorf gets toasty running my Line Arrays. Perhaps I just have crappy speaker cables.