Mc100

Providing them with an education on the subject would be an excellent way of spending some "quality time" with Grandpa while helping them develop an appreciation of the wonderful hobby of hi fi. :)
I was exaggerating obviously but point taken lol

Trust me if you get it we can help you find a way to use it......just another foot on the slippery slope......

For example, it has been years, but I believe Paradigm made a speaker level input subwoofer interface/crossover called the x20.

Then you would just need a non amplified woofer. Like a McIntosh XL1W.

See it has only been minutes and already we can find a way for you to get into Mac deeper.

Last edited:
Trust me if you get it we can help you find a way to use it......just another foot on the slippery slope......

For example, it has been years, but I believe Paradigm made a speaker level input subwoofer interface/crossover called the x20.

See it has only been minutes and already we can find a way for you to get into Mac deeper.
My wife is going to kill me. Lol

I would be all over that as a center channel amp. But if you are buying it for two channel, and hoping to find a second one, you can probably do better for cheaper and still get a Mcintosh. I see the MC752 and MC754s (75x2 and 100x2) going for $6-700 all the time. Not to be a downer, it is a pretty cool amp.

-Geoff

I looked at a picture of the back panel of a Sansui G5500 and did not see any preamp output or subwoofer output. So, unless I missed it and there is such an output, OP will not be able to operate this amp unless he gets some kind of preamp.

So the subwoofer idea will work only if it can be connected from the speaker wires. Does Paradigm x20 accept speaker-level signals as input? (Probably does.)

I would be all over that as a center channel amp. But if you are buying it for two channel, and hoping to find a second one, you can probably do better for cheaper and still get a Mcintosh. I see the MC752 and MC754s (75x2 and 100x2) going for $6-700 all the time. Not to be a downer, it is a pretty cool amp.

-Geoff
Thanks for the honest opinion I may do that

I looked at a picture of the back panel of a Sansui G5500 and did not see any preamp output or subwoofer output. So, unless I missed it and there is such an output, OP will not be able to operate this amp unless he gets some kind of preamp.

So the subwoofer idea will work only if it can be connected from the speaker wires. Does Paradigm x20 accept speaker-level signals as input? (Probably does.)
Ok that’s good info. I am learning from you all I appreciate all the help.

One MC100 for Right Channel and one MC100 for Left Channel. The ultimate in vintage McIntosh SS mono-blocks! Of course, finding a 2nd will prove to be a challenge.

OR, as c_dk suggested, pair the single MC100 with a MC2100 and a Mc preamp of the same vintage with a Center channel output to create a 3-channel audio system, popular in the '70s. This was common for folks with Klipshorns. Khorns have to be so far apart to image correctly when your seated 10 feet from them so a Belle, LaScala, Cornwall, or Heresy was commonly used as a center channel speaker to bridge the gap so to speak. The system would have looked something like this:

C26 or C28 preamp
L&R Outputs > MC2100 (or MC2105) > Klipschorns
Center Output > MC100 > Belle
This is my end game before I die, so lets see how I do.

Half of a 2105, would make a great center channel amp with efficient speakers. Just make sure you set the volume control at 12:00 to keep the signal to noise optimized for Mac pre-amps.

I didn't realize they were that rare. I guess I missed a good opportunity on the recapped pair last week on the bay for less than 8 bills shipped. I looked at them thinking they were each half a 2100 which really weren't my cup of tea when I had a pair live here.

I have 2 . Nice peppy amps used them on Center taps for my Scotts. Also with my Heath AA-11 when not running the 208. Like them better than the 2100 but not as smooth as the 250. Would love to pick up a third .

I didn't realize they were that rare. I guess I missed a good opportunity on the recapped pair last week on the bay for less than 8 bills shipped. I looked at them thinking they were each half a 2100 which really weren't my cup of tea when I had a pair live here.
That's exactly what they are - half an MC2100.

None of the few MC100 I've come across were anywhere near the condition of this one. At $300, you did well. Finding another in similar condition might be a challenge though. Keep an eye on A/C's site and of course the usual online venues, ie: ebay, Audiogon, Canuck Audio Mart etc.

Thanks I was hoping I made a good purchase. I will keep looking for another. If anybody knows anyone in my area that would take a look at it and maybe refurbish it that would be great I live in east central Illinois. Thanks for all
The advice

Yea, forget everything I said about getting a better two channel. That thing is a steal for $300 and it looks incredible. Nice one!

-Geoff

Yea, forget everything I said about getting a better two channel. That thing is a steal for $300 and it looks incredible. Nice one!

-Geoff
I knew nothing about HiFi when I started visiting this site about a year ago, a lot of great information here. Thanks for everyones input. If anybody has any other advice or tips please let me know. Now the search begins........

So I have taken off the cage and am going to clean it up a bit. Any advice on the chrome without taking off the lettering and shining up the plastic McIntosh 100, would be great. I was planning to lightly wash the cage and base with Dawn, and maybe some chrome cleaner on the unit itself. Overall it looks pretty clean inside and out. here are some pics.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom