MC2000 vs. Dual MC275s

You may scoff but i'm using Polk RTi A9s and I'm really happy with them. I think 62caddy uses them as well.

Funny, in one of my (many) Chromecast zones I'm running RTiA7s with a Jolida tube amp and I'm really impressed with them. In my place they give much more costly speakers a good run for their money. A rich, resonant sound and the main dig I've read against them is their brightness which--in my place--just isn't an issue. The room they're in is not particularly 'live' (carpeted, cavernous, furnished etc) which I'm sure makes a big difference. Also, I'm listening to piano jazz most of the time at low SPLs.

Just wanted to add another data point on these RTi A Series which--incidentally--sport beautiful veneer finishes. I'm also very impressed with the bookshelf speakers in the same line--A1 and A3. I haven't heard the A5. Anyway, for a non-prestige ('mass market') brand this particular line really impresses me.

Now back to your regularly scheduled automotive discussion
index.php

Roll racing is for posers and dyno queens

There's a simple reason I roll and don't dig. There's no way I can compete off the line against auto transmissions, even the non-dual-clutch kinds. I've been in my Z, first in line at stoplights, sitting next to premenopausal women driving Ford Aerostar vans, and at green, I've had to hit 10 lbs. of boost and meth injection to keep up. They just floor it on green and head for Walmart.

So, if you think I'll line up against your auto-trans rocket for a dig, you're nuts. I'll roll you, though, and then you can see how shiny my exhaust tips are. :bye:

Now, back on topic. It looks like for my listening purposes, I'm probably where I need to be with an MC2000 and one MC275 VI. I'm thinking that my next acquisition should be a MEN220 and let Room Perfect make things even better.

Dave

If my experience is useful in any way here, you may want to peruse my MC501 thread and consider hearing what a modern quad balanced SS Mac amp can do for you. I continue to be astounded at the added level of clarity, resolution and nuances I am now hearing. The tube amps are wonderful to listen to, but are not the last word in resolution. All those extra zeros in the THD spec really do mean something in the real world.

And I did all of my street racing from a roll too back in the 80s. While all of the kids were having fun in their 5.0's, IROCs, Turbo Z's, etc, I was enjoying an old-school big block 1973 455 4-speed Trans Am. Never lost a roll on race at highway speeds in that car...good times :). I didn't have the HP numbers you guys are tossing about here, but neither did anyone else I came up against.

jblnut

an old-school big block 1973 455 4-speed Trans Am

I salute you, fellow manual-tranny roll racer! Gotta love those old GM motors with the pistons the size of oatmeal canisters. Now I see where you get your excitement for the MC501 -- HORSEPOWER!

Dave

There's a simple reason I roll and don't dig. There's no way I can compete off the line against auto transmissions, even the non-dual-clutch kinds. I've been in my Z, first in line at stoplights, sitting next to premenopausal women driving Ford Aerostar vans, and at green, I've had to hit 10 lbs. of boost and meth injection to keep up. They just floor it on green and head for Walmart.

So, if you think I'll line up against your auto-trans rocket for a dig, you're nuts. I'll roll you, though, and then you can see how shiny my exhaust tips are. :bye:

Dave
LOL - we hot rodders are always up for a good bench racing session. I'll compromise with ya'. I'll leave the blower at 9% under, and we go from a 25mph roll. You've got the weight advantage . . . you'd better have a hand full of low 9 second time slips in the glove box of that 'vette if you think you can chase me down on horsepower!

All kidding aside - I don't think I'd want to be swapping clutches in your car anytime soon . . .

I'll take that 25-mph roll, and yeah, my rocket is a half-ton lighter than your sled. Here's what I'll do, though, to give you more of a chance. Put those two MC2600s in my Z's trunk and we'll roll East. Since you'll be eating my meth fumes, I'll just keep on going home to Pennsylvania. I'll let you know how the 2600s sound with my XRT1Ks. Lookin' forward to it! :bye:

Dave

I'll take that 25-mph roll, and yeah, my rocket is a half-ton lighter than your sled. Here's what I'll do, though, to give you more of a chance. Put those two MC2600s in my Z's trunk and we'll roll East. Since you'll be eating my meth fumes, I'll just keep on going home to Pennsylvania. I'll let you know how the 2600s sound with my XRT1Ks. Lookin' forward to it! :bye:

Dave
You may want to study the density altitude differences between PA and PHX and it’s effect on hp ... just sayin’ ... mine is 850hp here. I also roll on a 22.5” wide wrinkle wall slick that will dead hook from 25mph with no burnout.

Be sure and bring the MC2000 just in case ... ;)

All those extra zeros in the THD spec really do mean something in the real world.
Daresay that remains 'undemonstrated'. The first digit to the right of the decimal may matter, but the second handily exceeds human perception and the rest are for show. What's more, the techniques by which engineers assemble all those zeros bring their own demerits to the case. And even more: THD isn't usually the most meaningful spec in the first place when it comes to listenability, even for those who enjoy counting numbers.

Mind, none of this is to say that SS amps don't offer superior precision and resolution as a matter of course. Just that THD is a war fought and won nearly two generations ago, and to pursue it to the 'nth' degree now brings unnecessary costs elsewhere in the signal path and moreover is a distraction from more meaningful factors.

Daresay that remains 'undemonstrated'. The first digit to the right of the decimal may matter, but the second handily exceeds human perception and the rest are for show. What's more, the techniques by which engineers assemble all those zeros bring their own demerits to the case. And even more: THD isn't usually the most meaningful spec in the first place when it comes to listenability, even for those who enjoy counting numbers.

Mind, none of this is to say that SS amps don't offer superior precision and resolution as a matter of course. Just that THD is a war fought and won nearly two generations ago, and to pursue it to the 'nth' degree now brings unnecessary costs elsewhere in the signal path and moreover is a distraction from more meaningful factors.
There are CDs out there with tracks recorded at various levels of distortion - let’s just say they’re humbling.

There are CDs out there with tracks recorded at various levels of distortion - let’s just say they’re humbling.
Oh yeah. Source material is all over the place and yet another reason not to sweat the details any more than you want to.

Oh yeah. Source material is all over the place and yet another reason not to sweat the details any more than you want to.
No - what I mean is evaluation tracks intentionally recorded at various levels of distortion in an effort to train you whay to listen for.

Gotcha... it crossed my mind that you may have meant that. Never heard one of those though.

Are they Hoosiers?

Tell you what. Just because I'm a nice guy and a good sport, I'll keep the MC2000 in my Z along with your 2600s. That will give you even more help. You're gonna need it. :bye:

Dave

Yes, hoosiers - QTPs. What tire do you run?

Back
Top Bottom