1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

MC2100 To Do's

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by jbailey930, Nov 6, 2018.

1. jbailey930

jbailey930 AK Member Subscriber

HI again - Per my other thread here is the power provider - picked this up as a freebie from an engineer that used this for some time at Discovery Channel in nearby Silver Spring, MD. It's obviously been around the block before that. It was serviced by local tech in 2016. He replaced some caps.

I had this over at @Gregory 's place over the weekend. Without proper testing gear not much we can verify. So on the lookout for distortion analyzer and O'scope....

One of the brackets for the riser (underside of chassis) is broken. Not sure if there are spares or super glue/JB weld is the choice solution.

1. We were curious about this addition on both channel boards -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments, advice accepted.
    thanks

Please register to disable this ad.

2. UncleBingo

UncleBingo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Is that an empty hole next to the cap? If so, it looks like someone may have bodged-in an axial cap for lack of a proper radial capacitor.

3. Hunted11

Hunted11 Active Member

As far as the plastic riser goes, just glue it. DO NOT replace it as the heatsinks have 35 volts on them. What is the value of the capacitor?? Mine only have one cap on the other side of the board and it is a 330uf @ 6.3 volts. My boards have been updated but the cap was not part of the update. Here are a couple of pictures of my boards.

Attached Files:

4. jbailey930

jbailey930 AK Member Subscriber

. No hole. Traces are all good. Both boards have similar layout.

. Yeah, my vote is to glue while Greg, the lab rat, wants a like new fix.

5. Searing75

Searing75 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Someone added a bypass cap perhaps?

6. Gregory

Gregory Soundco Kid Subscriber

The end heat sink bracket is broken, where the assy sags in the chassis (see RED arrow lower left). I didn't know there was voltage on it. The temp fix was to add a piece of black foam between the it and the bottom cover to support. It seemed to be the right thickness and is working ok [to hold upright] for now.

John_2100_heat_sink.jpg

Not to differ with anyone, but it would be best IMHO to find another bracket from a `parted out´ amp as replacement.

Overall the amp looks HEAVILY used, putting it nicely and may have been in a smokey environment.

-Greg

Please register to disable this ad.

7. c_dk

c_dk Addicted Member

Factory parts had them a few years ago.....would be the place to start. They usually break in pairs and yes they carry voltage.

8. mnmmt

mnmmt AK Subscriber Subscriber

That would be simple to 3d print, if you had access to someone who has the program or the printer for it.

9. pgena

pgena Member

What CD-K said. I bought that bracket directly from McIntosh a few years back.

jbailey930 likes this.