MC2102 Issue

BHinDC

Hello Fellow McFanatics!

An issue with our new MC2102, which is not quite 5 months old, has us confused, and I wonder if anyone has suggestions.

A couple of months after we bought the amp, the right VU meter began to act strangely. For the bulk of the time, the meter would alternate between dead and acting normal. Then all the sudden, about two weeks ago, the VU meter started acting normal all the time -- we haven't noticed it go dead at all.

What could this be? Should we let McIntosh service come pick the unit up?

The only thing that I can recall in the past couple of weeks that might have affected the MC2102 is that we temporarily switched out the stock 12AT7 and 12AX7 with vintage Mullards. (We went back to the stock tubes almost immediately, ironically, as we prefer the sound with the stock tubes!)

Thoughts?

(Ron, HELP!)

:scratch2:

I had the same problem in my MC162 and found the thin blue plastic sheet in the meters that give it the blue color was hitting the meter needle which caused the meter to not move. I used a tiny screwdriver to push the blue plastic sheet away from the meter needle and I have not had a problem since.

This may be what is happening to your meter, as long as things are working I wouldn't worry about it. Don't forget you have a 3 year warranty.

Clarification

I should clarify. A private email asked whether by "dead" I mean "dead dead" or something else.

In point of fact, I do not mean that the right VU meter does not move at all. It twitches in time to the music, but remaining very close to zero the whole time.

I am told this could affect the diagnosis.

Many thanks!

Kevin

Not sure if this will help but my MC-2205 had sorta the same prob with the right side meter. There's a ribbon cable that runs from the meter power supply to another pcb next to the meters. Wiggled the ribbon cable and the meter came back to life. Just a bad connection.

Murray

The MC2102 uses an Engli$h meter movement that is shared with the C2200. These are very reliable and I do not know of any issues with them. Could be a connection somewhere though. Just keep an eye on it and take it to your dealer if it acts up as it is covered under the three year warranty.

Ron-C

Back
Top Bottom