MC2125 joins the stable

Big Mac

I just acquired a George Melnyk refurbed MC2125 from Ernie at Audio Classics and am enjoying it immensely.
Yes, of course I like the meters, but it's the quality of the sound.....so sweet!

I bought my first McIntosh in 2005 with an MC2120/C32 combo from Ernie then traded them a few months later for a MA6900. As much as I liked the 6900 I missed the 2120/32 combo, even buying a Melnyk refurbed MC250 from Ernie to get that early McIntosh SS sound back in my listening room. Long story short I traded the 6900 for an MC275/C220 setup, acquired an MC225 along the way, then sold the 275/220 combo to try some gear from other manufacturers, but kept the 250 and 225.

Last year I purchased a Nelson Pass First Watt J2 class A amp which is excellent on all counts but puts out a great deal of heat making it a bit warm in the summer months. So remembering my early experience with the 2120 (autoformers and Power Guard, and cool running) I saw a 2125 on the AC website, called Ernie, and now it's here to carry me through the summer months. I count myself extremely fortunate to have this stable of wonderful amplifiers and extremely fortunate to have AC just 35 minutes from my home! My thanks go out to Ernie and George!

I really appreciate the flexibility McIntosh built into the MC2125. Two input sensitivity settings plus gain controls means it can be used with a wide range of preamplifier voltages; can be used used in mono mode into 8, 4, 2 and 1 ohm or 16, 8, 4 and 2 ohm in stereo; PG (which can be switched off), Sentry Monitor; headphone jack and of course two beautiful meters that can be set to read in dB with 3 levels of sensitivity, watts and watts-hold.

Yes, extremely flexible piece and with plenty of power, McIntosh power!
Not surprisingly I've yet to move the meter needles past 1.2 watts...but the juice is there if needed. Beautiful to listen to and to look at.
I am using the 2125 with a Shindo Aureiges preamp to drive either Klipsch La Scalas or Tekton Lores. Sublime!

Yes, extremely flexible piece and with plenty of power, McIntosh power!
Not surprisingly I've yet to move the meter needles past 1.2 watts...but the juice is there if needed. Beautiful to listen to and to look at.
I am using the 2125 with a Shindo Aureiges preamp to drive either Klipsch La Scalas or Tekton Lores. Sublime!
I’ve had several. The MC2125 does it all well!

Back
Top Bottom