MC2205 Glass Repair...Reprise and yet there is more!

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by gcalvas, Dec 22, 2007.

1. gcalvas

gcalvas Member

I just HAD to do something that I knew nothing about! I wanted to fix the portion of the lettering under the meters "MC2205 Stereo Amplifier" where someone covered a portion of them with 2-sided tape. I tried to use a heat gun to removed the tape, and some of the lettering also came off. What I DID NOT know was that the lettering is not "etched" unto the glass, but it is part of a green silkscreen which is then covered over with black? Now I have five letters missing and am clueless as what it will take to fix that! I am frustrated about this whole affair and am certainly learning the hard way. Any suggestions? Can that green silkscreen (From what I can see that is what was used?) as a whole be fixed? I hope this does not cost me a replacement glass. All this work for nothing would really be a bummer.

2. slomotion

slomotion New Member

Just remember as your "exit strategy" you can always purchase a new replacement glass from Audio Classics. My 2205 was pockmarked with bubbles and I went this route. It ain't cheap, but the 2205 is a beauty of a beast worth restoring. So you can always use this as a last resort.

3. skippy_ps

skippy_ps AK Subscriber Subscriber

If it makes you feel any better, I have more than one piece of audio gear that worked fine before I fixed it and turned it into a mass of junk.

If you look closely, I think that you'll see that the "lettering" is actually where black paint isn't. Then, transparent green stuff is stuck on the back of the glass so that the light can pass through. If you melted the green stuff, you can try to replace some or all of it but the black paint on the glass is easily damaged and there would be no practical way to reproduce the cut out in the paint for the lettering.

New glass for the 2205 is about $160. Check with Audio Classics or McIntosh.

Murray

4. gcalvas

gcalvas Member

I guess that is the way the ball bounces. I guess I can black out the rest of the lettering and sell it for the little it is worth to someone who just might not care.

5. perryinva

perryinva IS it vintage????

Well, since it's ruined, I'm sure I can take it off your hands for a good price....

6. dewickt

dewickt Will fix about Anything

Parts book says #0161-6200 and $134.45, it even may be in stock 800-538-6576 ask for the parts department.

7. Gregory

Gregory Radical Lab Animal

Yeah.. the 2205 is a real klonker all right. :)

If it makes you feel any better, noticed that on my 2205 the letters EO PO in STEREO POWER under the meters have the tape or whatever missing and also the left-most tip of the W. On close inspection there are no bubbles but two very minor flaws at the far lower right and bottom edges that look like the glass has some kind of a stress. Further, there are two tiny spots in the plastic meter bezel where the grey or silver paint is missing.

Neither of these are bothersome, and that's coming from someone who is picky.

-Gregory

8. gcalvas

gcalvas Member

I ended up cutting out the words in the center that could not be fixed, ie "stereo power". I left "MC2205" underneath the left channel meter and the word "AMPLIFIER" located under the right channel meter. All in all, it looks balanced and at this time I will just put up with it. Thanks for all the input.:music: