MC225 question...

WhiteSE

Is Lute Gluten Free??
Subscriber
The autoformer's covers are the modern sharp corner ala MC250, Mc2100....

Whats the scoop on the MC225 good qualities as compared with the models with the old rounded enclosures ala MC240?

mc225.jpg

Not sure I'd put much stock....

in whether the transformer cases are rounded or square to characterize any differences between these amps. I'm not sure why the metal forming choices were made like they were but I suspect that rounded corner cases are more expensive to make than square.

I have not spent any time evaluating the 2 circuit topologies or listened critically to these amps side-by-side. I'm sure others here have impressions on that.

Generally, I've chosen Mac amps based on:

* Size of room
* Speaker efficiency
* Impedance match with the preamp driving it
* The resulting sizing needed to obtain a sound I like

Generally, I've trusted Mac's engineers to voice their stuff together and have chosen to stay with Mac preamps and power amp combos. They haven't let me down.

So, I have the MX-110 preamp with MC-225 power amp combo. This is what I need for my speakers. If the room size changed or I changed the speakers, then I'd re-evaluate my power needs and choose accordingly.

Thankfully, my headbanging days are over so I can spend more money on speakers and source components rather than lots of watts.

Cheers,

David

I was wondering if the transformers were gradually improved thru the years or a standard desgin that was left alone/

Ok, mis-understood the question....

I believe that Ron-C, here, has mentioned that the same machines are still used to wind the Autoformers and that the same 2 operators have done this same job for the last 30 years or so.

While this is a testament to Mac's commitments to the autoformers, I'm pretty sure that the basic technology really hasn't changed that much. In addition to the MC-225's I have, I also use an HK Citation II power amp which has quite wide-bandwidth output transformers, both amps perform quite well given their age.

The technology on transformers has been worked out, it remains a question of how much you'd like to pay for quality devices. I'd say McIntosh has had the details nailed down for 50 years.

Hope this answers the question.

Cheers,

David

Back
Top Bottom