MC2255 Glass panel

THD

So I bought an MC2255 power amp, received it yesterday, opened it & found that wonderful FedEx damaged it, the glass panel is cracked from one corner, several cracks starting in the corner. Anybody ever dealt with this McIntosh Audio guy in Tennessee, Tom Manley, has that website Macintoshaudio.com? I tried talking to him on the phone, what a mistake, the old grouch only wanted to talk about how overloaded he is with work, got mad when I asked if I could buy an amp as is, said "this conversation is over". So I look on his website & there is a glass panel listed as available. (The list is updated weekly ya know, what a joke). He won't answer my emails about getting this glass panel. So anybody know where to find one? Already email Mcintosh in New York, don't know if they still make them or have old stock.

+1 on Audioclassics. McIntosh does run glass panels for classic amps from time to time so worth checking into. You may have to wait, sometimes a year or more.

Tom Manly and his partner do good work. His business is based on restoring gear so he won’t sell anything unrestored. If all else fails wait a week or two or use a proxy to contact him and specifically state you want to buy the MC 2255 glass panel he has.

I'm sure they do good work but not impressed with his public interaction, very rude & grouchy, just talked about his partners personal problems & his problems & how old he is, overloaded with work, 15 week lead time, bla, bla bla, really not impressed.

You just caught him on a bad day I think. From what I can tell, it's a small biz, maybe just Tom and his wife who helps out.

I bought a 2255 a couple of months ago and mine also had a broken faceplate (I knew that when I bought it). McIntosh didn't have any and didn't have an ETA. So I contacted Tom and got a quote and sent a check in. Got it shipped promptly and it arrived very well packed. You have to provide your serial # because Mac doesn't want to sell to Tom unless he provides serial #'s for all the units he's selling faceplates for.

He ran me through the process twice on how to safely change the face plate and even let me record him the 2nd time so I could go back over it as often as I needed. I replaced the glass yesterday and it went smoothly.

Since the interaction was bumpy, you can try McIntosh or Audio Classics, but if neither have stock or ETA, you may somehow have to go back to Tom if you want the faceplate sooner rather than later. As someone mentioned earlier, maybe you get a local friend to place the order and do the transaction if the bridge is burned.

Audio Classics doesn't seem to have any at the present but chances are they will, sooner or later.

So I bought an MC2255 power amp, received it yesterday, opened it & found that wonderful FedEx damaged it, the glass panel is cracked from one corner, several cracks starting in the corner. Anybody ever dealt with this McIntosh Audio guy in Tennessee, Tom Manley, has that website Macintoshaudio.com? I tried talking to him on the phone, what a mistake, the old grouch only wanted to talk about how overloaded he is with work, got mad when I asked if I could buy an amp as is, said "this conversation is over". So I look on his website & there is a glass panel listed as available. (The list is updated weekly ya know, what a joke). He won't answer my emails about getting this glass panel. So anybody know where to find one? Already email Mcintosh in New York, don't know if they still make them or have old stock.

You just caught him on a bad day I think. From what I can tell, it's a small biz, maybe just Tom and his wife who helps out.

He ran me through the process twice on how to safely change the face plate and even let me record him the 2nd time so I could go back over it as often as I needed. I replaced the glass yesterday and it went smoothly.

Since the interaction was bumpy, you can try McIntosh or Audio Classics, but if neither have stock or ETA, you may somehow have to go back to Tom if you want the faceplate sooner rather than later. As someone mentioned earlier, maybe you get a local friend to place the order and do the transaction if the bridge is burned.

I had a similar situation a few months ago as well. FedEx damaged the glass on an MCD7008, (even though packed in a factory carton).
None of the usual suspects in North America had one but Tom did. I get what you're saying about his demeanor, although my encounter was much more civil, (just mild grousing).
He did sell me the glass, and I must say, the preparation for shipment was impeccable.
And like "captouch" pointed out, he very thoroughly explained the process for removing & replacing the glass. See if you can make nice with him again and order your glass. Good luck.

Regarding your damage claim, have you started that yet? Good luck with that and bring your patience.

Last edited:
I think one thing to consider is that there's not a ton of options on where to get glass or other specialty items like this. A handful at the most and I can only name McIntosh, Audio Classics, and mcintoshaudio (Tom) off the top of my head. We're lucky to at least have some options as there's a chance that one has stock when the others are out. If mcintoshaudio didn't exist, I'd be sitting with a broken glass face with no ETA on McIntosh's next run to make more.

Sometimes the option turns out to be very small one or two person operations, so you're at times you may be subject to disruptions if something comes up in their life, or gruff customer service if they're not having a great day. But IMO it's a small price to pay for having options. I get the sense he's very busy servicing all the requests he gets and probably making a living (but not a killing) on his business, yet a great many Mac users benefit from his being there and hard work/long hours.

There were posts about a specialty belt provider that was also a very small operation, and there were cases where items wouldn't get shipped for months with little or no communication. With Tom, the item was shipped quickly, packed professionally for safe transit, and communication was great throughout. So it's all relative and it's not really fair to compare small operations to big ones in all aspects.

The glass panel you’re referring to is not for sale.. IIRC. He’s saving that for an MC2255 that has a smashed front.

I know when I bought mine (mid-Oct), the website was only showing 1, so I rushed to buy it before he sold his last one. Not sure when you bought yours and how many were showing before you did. But maybe he has more than what shows up on the website.

I don't know what you are talking about, I got email from his wife saying yes there is one & I can get it, your are telling me this is BS?

I had a similar situation a few months ago as well. FedEx damaged the glass on an MCD7008, (even though packed in a factory carton).
None of the usual suspects in North America had one but Tom did. I get what you're saying about his demeanor, although my encounter was much more civil. He did sell me the glass, and I must say, the preparation for shipment was impeccable. And like "captouch" pointed out, he very thoroughly explained the process for removing & replacing the glass.
See if you can make nice with him again and order your glass. Good luck.

Regarding your damage claim, have you started that yet? Good luck with that and bring your patience.
Claim filed, I should have opened it in front of the Fed Ex lady who unloaded it. When there is a huge label on the box that says "Attention!! This unit contains GLASS, please handle with special care, always this side up" & another big red Fragile sticker you just don't give crap about what's inside & need to find another F'n job! The corner had been smashed in where the damage was, packed extremely well, but fed ex & ups don't give crap just like Jim Carrey on the first pet detective.

I don't know what you are talking about, I got email from his wife saying yes there is one & I can get it, your are telling me this is BS?

No, you're fine. We were just speculating on how well the website quantities reflect actual inventories. If they say they have one, I'm sure they do. If you need it, I'd go ahead and get it. :thumbsup:

I use Audio Classics all the time. The one time there was a wait, it was many weeks less than they said it would be. Class act there.

Got one from Tom Manley a couple weeks ago, of course Fed Ex denied my claim even though I had all the pictures of the packing & damage, I paid for the shipping insurance, apparently for nothing, a bunch of crooks, **** fed ex.

Got one from Tom Manley a couple weeks ago, of course Fed Ex denied my claim even though I had all the pictures of the packing & damage, I paid for the shipping insurance, apparently for nothing, a bunch of crooks, **** fed ex.
Wow.

You just haven't been persuasive enough ...

Once UPS damaged a shipment of mine. I shipped the gear to Audio Classics via FedEx to get the estimate for repair. I charged UPS for said shipment in addition to the repairs. They balked - I was like, listen - you already had your shot. The claims adjuster agreed and cut the check.

Back
Top Bottom