MC2255 Glass panel

Of all people who ship McIntosh, I would think Tom Manley's packaging would exceed FedEx standards.
I would agree with this statement as Tom's packaging is amongst the best I've ever seen, however no packaging can withstand a box being dropped from several feet.
This seems to happen more & more often. I view every shipment as a situation where you execute the best possible precautions and hope for the best.

Most sorting conveyors that shippers use have anywhere from 1-4 foot drops. This is where one of the problems rests.

Got one from Tom Manley a couple weeks ago, of course Fed Ex denied my claim even though I had all the pictures of the packing & damage, I paid for the shipping insurance, apparently for nothing, a bunch of crooks, **** fed ex.
What was the basis for denying the claim?
Was the amp shipped in a factory carton?

Of all people who ship McIntosh, I would think Tom Manley's packaging would exceed FedEx standards.

I don't think the damage in the initial post was anything to do with Tom. My reading is that the OP ordered a 2255 from somewhere (ebay?), shipped FedEx, and received it with damaged glass. OP filed a claim with FedEx to cover the damage, but was denied on the claim.

OP eventually got a replacement panel fine from Tom.

Basically two separate issues.

When I got my panel from Tom, it was packed such that I think it would have survived a fall from several feet. Packed really really well.

What was the basis for denying the claim?
Was the amp shipped in a factory carton?
No, not a factory carton, this is a 2255. Blenty of ridgid foam, 4 layers of cardboard, peanuts, 2 layers of bubble wrap around the amp. The damaged corner of the shipping box where the glass was broken was obviously pushed in or slammed into a wall, they don't give a shit. They cliam it wasn't packed well enough. why bother paying for insurance if they pull this shit? I asked them if they want to go to court. No response.

No, not a factory carton, this is a 2255. Blenty of ridgid foam, 4 layers of cardboard, peanuts, 2 layers of bubble wrap around the amp. The damaged corner of the shipping box where the glass was broken was obviously pushed in or slammed into a wall, they don't give a shit. They cliam it wasn't packed well enough. why bother paying for insurance if they pull this shit? I asked them if they want to go to court. No response.
That's most unfortunate. IIRC, McIntosh bolts those larger amps to plywood inside their cartons for shipping.
Personally, I wouldn't let any McIntosh gear be shipped in anything other than a factory carton.
Earlier this year FedEx damaged a Mac CD player they were shipping for me. I prepaid to send a Mac carton to the seller for shipment as the seller did not have one. When I filed the claim, they initially balked and asked for pictures of the shipping carton. I gladly sent the pics along with the explanation that the container used was what the manufacturer designed to deliver these items to their dealers. The only relevant explanation for damage was due to mishandling during shipment. Hard to argue that point.

In your case, you may argue with the seller you dealt with that the packaging may have been inadequate.

I've been there, shipper dropped and shattered a $2,000 china marine toilet assembly, it was shipped in the factory double-corregated box, with 2" styro corners inside, another double-corregated box inside that, foam-in-place suspending the toilet inside the inner box totalling 6" to any side. They initially denied my claim, I had another one on-hand still in the box and measured it all, documented, they paid. Another one (same shipper, shipped over 2,000 shipments that year, most multiple boxes per shipment) the driver had "disposed of" the damaged goods so there was nothing to even return to me, ...

Read the packaging standards/requirements for your shipment and value and if you've met it and can document it, they should pay.

Back
Top Bottom