MC240 output tubes.

Bill Allan

What is everybody is using for output tubes in their 240's. When I bought mine last year it had a mixed set of 6L6's onboard. 2 National(?? logo partially legible) 6L6GC's, one Westinghouse 6L6GB and one RCA blackplate 6L6GC. Although they were operable I replaced them with a set of new Svetlana 6L6GC's. I quite liked their sound. Also picked up a set of NOS Tungsol 5881's. I am currently listening to the Tungsols as the Svetlanas were destroyed by a gravitational interface (don't ask).
The Tungsols don't put out as much power and are generally more laid back than the 6L6's but still quite musical. I beleive I need to spend more money on my system (purely therapeutic you understand) and want to get another set of 6L6's. What's the hot setup??
Best regrdz
Bill

GE 6L6's.

Fantastic mid range.

The RCA blackplates have extended highs and lows but mess up that midrange magic.

I have a MX110 preamp.

Thanks for that. The RCA's were apparently highly sought after for Fender quitar amps. I suspect that guitarists are looking for something different in a tube than we are (like more distortion). I have an MX-112 but I understand the 110 is the one to have. I'm currently listening to a C-40 which is pretty swell.
Regrdz
Bill

Early 6l6 US tubes will fail in the 240 due to arc over. The Unity Coupled McIntosh circuit will exceed the design parameters of the 6l6. The military 5881As will work as well as the 6l6GC, uprated 6L6. If you want 60 watts per channel the RCA 7027A is the choice. This was sold under other US brands but is the same tube I believe.
I have found the current Russian tubes to work well in the MC240. Since the amp is not tube sensitive by design you may not hear the differences outlined in the guitar amp article.
Ron-C

Ron,
Tell me what you think of using the 7581A tube in the MC240?
No, I don't have a MC240.....yet :p:
Thanks

Carl

Carl,

The 7581A is the GE military version of the 6L6GC. Excellent tube.

Ron-C

I have a quad and heard that guitar players really liked them in the amps that use 6L6GC tubes but wasn't sure if they would be
an OK use for the MC240, I guess the MC30' too. You don't hear much of people using them.

Carl

Thanks for this guys. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Had to go to Georgian Bay for the weekend and observe the sun and water (somebody had to do it). Apparently there is order in the universe.
Regrdz
Bill

Originally posted by ron-c
The 7581A is the GE military version of the 6L6GC. Excellent tube.

Is that the metal tube?

I think it's a good tube I like the glass ones better.

I had a set once. :)

Originally posted by ron-c
The 7581A is the GE military version of the 6L6GC. Excellent tube

Is that the metal tube?

no,its not the metal tube.the metal tube your thinking of is the 1614 which was originally mostly used for transmitting purposes.it also had a higher plate voltage rating than your basic 6l6.
chris

350B, 350B, 350B, 350B

Did I mention that I like the 350B in my MC-30?

Hey Ben,
I was going to ask you what tubes you prefer in your MC30's? :D
The 7581A's I have are consumer labeled Westinghouse. They are regular glass bottles. If I can remember where I put them I
will take a pic. :headscrat

Carl

Back
Top Bottom