Mc250 Main filter caps

Gearjunky

Jack of all trades, master of none
Good morning all,

So I recently recapped my mc2100 with all new electrolytic capacitors including the main filter caps and multicap. The main filter caps I ordered from Mouser were a direct drop in replacement, and all went well.

I recently noticed some corrosion around the main filter caps for my Mc250 so why not do a full recap on this one, so off I went to get a parts list going. But I’m unclear if Mousers 9300uf 50v capacitor is a drop in replacement or will I need to drill new holes due to terminal spacing? Or is there a better source for these? Also, unclear about which route I will go for C57, 500uf 50v. Do I mount a new cap inside the chassis or,,,,,,,

I used a multicap from Hayseed for the 2100 which worked great and may do the same for the 250. Any info greatly appreciated!!

Anthony

Search for United-Chemicon or Nippon-Chemicon at Mouser for the main filter caps. Just make sure the threaded studs are the raised versions with the plastic spacer.

Thx for the info! That pulled up about 8 or so different screw type caps to choose from, I’ll have to compare specs. I briefly looked at them and still haven’t figured out an exact match.

I just pulled the suspected leaking filter cap and man was it leaking!! In the last six months I’ve had my mc250 and mc2100 both have leaking filter caps.

Robert from Hayseed will provide me with the multicap and 500uf 50v cap next to it as well. Also, got a response back from McIntosh and they have the 9300uf caps for $100/ea,,,, yikes. I’ll pay if need be but would rather not without a significant sacrifice in quality vs Mouser. Thx again.

Attachments

• 0749E7A4-EF84-4501-ADC1-29A4CC35E8D9.jpeg
    0749E7A4-EF84-4501-ADC1-29A4CC35E8D9.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 51
  • D8FA716E-5521-43DD-8F80-0888AE57B46A.jpeg
    D8FA716E-5521-43DD-8F80-0888AE57B46A.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 53
Just make sure the threaded studs are the raised versions

Raised version is high post terminal style in data sheet for some manufacturer. And watch out for terminal spacing.

You may need Mouser No. 561-SFW10 or 561-SFW8, if finishing washer are used and are in bad shape or cracked. I think they are on yours second picture but not sure.

Thank you for the washer part #’s, good to know. The washers in the picture are still intact and ok. I cleaned the capacitor gunk/funk off of them and they still look good.

No char spots on any of the boards. Everything looks to be original except a couple of the smaller caps.

I have some higher Uf main filter caps that I was going to use in my MC250 rebuild but the tech ran the originals through their paces and said they were good to go. I also used Hayseed cap replacements for the smaller two and they worked out great.

These were the caps from Mouser that a well known tech in Oklahoma recommended and fit the chassis. He was fully aware that they were 22,000uf each but said they'd be fine.

I have some higher Uf main filter caps that I was going to use in my MC250 rebuild but the tech ran the originals through their paces and said they were good to go. I also used Hayseed cap replacements for the smaller two and they worked out great.

These were the caps from Mouser that a well known tech in Oklahoma recommended and fit the chassis. He was fully aware that they were 22,000uf each but said they'd be fine.

Good to know, thx. The more I’m thinking about it, I may bite the bullet and get them through McIntosh. Of the three systems I have, this one gets used the most. Hours per day every day for the most part. Used for movies and background music so it’s always on. Not in a rush so I’m gonna keep on searching too.

Update: I ended up buying the two large caps from McIntosh$$ The two other caps on top are ordered through Hayseed and the smaller caps for the boards are in route from Mouser. I can tell ya the MC2100 was a lot easier to order and cheaper to recap than the MC250. The caps on Mouser with the terminal spacing of 1.125” were all like 4” tall or 105mm? That’s too tall for the 250 imo
(Please correct me if I’m wrong on the sizing for anyone reading through this for advice)

Either way that’s the route I went with and there’s no turning back!! Thx for everyone’s help.

Back
Top Bottom