MC250, MC754 questions

WhiteSE

Is Lute Gluten Free??
Subscriber
I know the mC754 doesnt have autoformers, but I believe the 250 does? at the Roger Russel.com, it doesnt specify unless they have NO autoforms?

the 754 has 2x the power, but I wonder what changes with the abscence of the autoforms...and the fact that they were made some years after the 250...

MC250/MC754

The MC754 is 100W per channel, latest design direct coupled, the lower the speaker impedence the more power the amplifier can put out.
The MC250 at 50W per channel is autoformer coupled first generation solid state designed to sound as close to the tube MC240 as possible. Being transformer coupled (autoformer) the MC250 output power does not change with changes in speaker impedence.
A good portion of todays speakers drop in impedence from 8 ohms to less than 4 ohms as frequency goes less than 100 hZ. Most direct coupled amplifiers will start to have more bass or boom as the frequency drops, an autoformer amplifier will not exibit this tendency.
This is where a speaker to amplifier match is essential for good sound, allways audition a amplifier speaker combination before a purchase.

I have the JBL L-96's and was thinking of buying one MC250 or 754 at a time to use bridged....

SO i guess the 754 will have better performance? I am using also a Berning TF-10 tubed pre.

I just read that the 754 damping factor is greater than 90, while the 250 is 10...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom