Mc2500 for Mc7300????

It's not like Clarion kicked all McIntosh engineers out and replaced them with car audio engineers accustomed to designing $99 cassette decks. Rather Clarion invested in McIntosh and made many things possible. The MC7300 is an outstanding power amp, regardless of when it was designed.

Oh and $1700 is WELL below market value ... Keep us posted.

McIntosh Mc7300 = Consumer Grade
McIntosh Mc2500 = Pro, Semi-Pro, Everything, Industrial, Gig, All-Grade

Honestly, the 7300 is kinda soulless for me. I stand by my words. Worst thing that happens is you send ONE of those 7300s down the road, get the big amp, and maybe sell that on if it doesn't work out.

What sold me is Roger Russell show a picture of a MC2500 on his site as the McIntosh amp they used for speaker development in their lab. If it had any bad characteristics it would have been replaced.

Roger and team apparently favored the largest offerings at any given time. MC2300, MC2500, and MC2600 were all mentioned.

These "sparrings" make Mc my brand in a way. Many of us are so passionate about which amps we favor. I think I've owned 200 or so Mc amps. With exception of MC60s, all of my favorites are in my sig. That beig said I've never owned a Mc amp that wasn't great. It's just that some are greater than others ...

Emailed the seller to meet today and do the deed. He is busy and will be free tomorrow after 5:00. Will udpate after tomorrow.

I'm a Dual MC7300 Dude through and through...
folks are entitled to their opinions on the 2500 vs the MC7300, I'm not arguing right or wrong or better or worse, people like what they like and the OP has an itch to scratch that will only be soothed by doing the swap.. I've been there myself..

I owned both and the MC7300's remain. We even kicked the 2500 out of the studio and now use an Audire Otez to drive our M&K Sat set up. I'm definitely a Fan of the MC2500 but we're not road gig'n with it and there is something sweeter in the sound ( PERSONAL OPINION) of the MC7300 (* and even the MC7270 for that matter).

Perhaps it's just the kind of speakers I've been driving them with... ( hell even the Sony SS-M7's were able to do some amazing things with a set of 7300's in bridged mono) The current speaker of the day is this little pair of B&W's
The 2500 resides in Brooklyn NY in our project space mated to pair of Pair of Miller & Kreisel SS-5000THX sats.. and on other days, a set of Allison One's and it's a match made in project space heaven. Even the Big Genelecs are Jealous. :)

Good luck with the MC2500, I'm sure it will live up to your expectations one way or another.

_DSC1764.JPG

Last edited:
I'm a Dual MC7300 Dude through and through...
folks are entitled to their opinions on the 2500 vs the MC7300, I'm not arguing right or wrong or better or worse, people like what they like and the OP has an itch to scratch that will only be soothed by doing the swap.. I've been there myself..

I owned both and the MC7300's remain. We even kicked the 2500 out of the studio and now use an Audire Otez to drive our M&K Sat set up. I'm definitely a Fan of the MC2500 but we're not road gig'n with it and there is something sweeter in the sound ( PERSONAL OPINION) of the MC7300 (* and even the MC7270 for that matter).

Perhaps it's just the kind of speakers I've been driving them with... ( hell even the Sony SS-M7's were able to do some amazing things with a set of 7300's in bridged mono) The current speaker of the day is this little pair of B&W's
The 2500 resides in Brooklyn NY in our project space mated to pair of Pair of Miller & Kreisel SS-5000THX sats.. and on other days, a set of Allison One's and it's a match made in project space heaven. Even the Big Genelecs are Jealous. :)

Good luck with the MC2500, I'm sure it will live up to your expectations one way or another.

That is a nice setup and this is coming from another person who enjoys this setup with the 7300s. Goes to show there is a lot of factors involved here.

To me the sweet sound of a Mc amp is different from many others.

First, I don't prefer B&W speakers with a Mc as they tend to be way bright for my ears - and I mean wayyyyy bright.

My preference for old, large JBLs continues the older Mc tradition of a darker, more warm sound. My ear sits right with old JBLs and old Mc SS amps. All of the newer stuff just never did it. I am sure it is more efficient, more powerful, and cleaner. Not to be a purist, but I have owned lots of stuff and the heart of the Mc sound seems to take a bit of a hit and taper off after Gordon Gow and Mr. Mc left this dimension.

Wow - what are the odds that another AKer might have a pair of MC7300s and an MC2500 and has compared each in the ways discussed in this thread?

Gents, time for us all to invest in a lottery ticket!

Finally I Own you Mc2500

Gentlemen... I present you my ticket to let me into your elite club... It did weigh a lot and the seller helped me put it in my Landy.. I dont know how I am gonna offload it when I reach home... :banana::banana::banana::banana:
:tresbon: For all your expert knowledge and opinions...

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5152.jpg
    IMG_5152.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 97
Wow - what are the odds that another AKer might have a pair of MC7300s and an MC2500 and has compared each in the ways discussed in this thread?

Gents, time for us all to invest in a lottery ticket!
with AK doubling as the audio gear hoarders club of America? every and anything is possible. ive ended up acquiring an amp locally that was built hundreds of miles away by another AK member. (shout out to squidward) The audio component owner world is getting smaller , with every Beat by dre sold :)

So, did you trade or buy it outright? It looks like a very clean example. The Silver / Black faced units were earlier models and the all Black faced units later models.

AKer Rich Andrews has a thread here somewhere about re-routing the fan harnesses to improve the S/N of the amplifier.

Bostown - you may be on to something . . .

Macman... I bought it outright and there was not trade involved. This guy hoards some of the interesting gear.. He had pair of mc30 lying around in garage in some junk cardboard box.. Also has 2275.. Citation 11... sansui 800.. He is all over the place.. Also he showed me very cean fisher 500c he uses in another setup... Anyway now it is done, I am happy now... ]

Good for you. I HATE it when I have to part with a Mc piece. Hate it.

Now, you can also do the comparisons we all discussed and report your findings. I think I'd like to try another MC2500 myself one of these days . . .

Congratulations. You will find it warm and natural sounding. Its the only amp I have that will light the max power warning lights to solid glow on my XRT20 and XR19 speakers simultaenously.

My brother in law a pro bass player said it reproduces best natural bass he has heard recorded.

Macman... I bought it outright and there was not trade involved. This guy hoards some of the interesting gear.. He had pair of mc30 lying around in garage in some junk cardboard box.. Also has 2275.. Citation 11... sansui 800.. He is all over the place.. Also he showed me very cean fisher 500c he uses in another setup... Anyway now it is done, I am happy now... ]

So what are your comparison thoughts MC2500 vs MC7300?

What mean "soul less"?

McIntosh Mc7300 = Consumer Grade
McIntosh Mc2500 = Pro, Semi-Pro, Everything, Industrial, Gig, All-Grade

Honestly, the 7300 is kinda soulless for me. I stand by my words. Worst thing that happens is you send ONE of those 7300s down the road, get the big amp, and maybe sell that on if it doesn't work out.

The Count had apparently bumped his head before he typed that ... and he's been inactive the last few years.

The Count had apparently bumped his head before he typed that ... and he's been inactive the last few years.
Well each has his favorites and match of speakers to the amp as I can attest sound does change things and amps can sound weak in one match and amazing in another. Also sources do matter.

Did you ever get the 7300 doing subwoofer LFE? Or still driving the Altecs? Is that MC500 going to do sub work now?

Last edited:
Well each has his favorites and match of speakers to the amp as I can attest sound does change things and amps can sound weak in one match and amazing in another. Also sources do matter.

Did you ever get the 7300 doing subwoofer LFE? Or still dring the Altecs? Is that MC500 going to do sub work now?
Yes, I did. The left meter sticks after the unit is on for a few hours - this seems to be a mechanical problem. Also, the MC7300 overloads the SS relay that triggers the AC outlet it's plugged into. So, I need to address both.

Back
Top Bottom