Mc30/pre Amp

frt8dog

First post to the forum. Great source for McIntosh info and great bunch of folks, very knowledgeable!! Here's my question for the group. I'm presently driving a pair of 78 Klipschorns with a pair of MC30's restored by Terry. (Super gentleman and does superior work...very pleased!). I'm using a Wright Pre-Amp (WPL20) along with a Heart CD player. The sound is very satisfying, but I'd like to have a complete McIntosh rig for the K-horns. From what I read on various forums the C-20 would probably be a good match with the MC-30's. I'm also considering the C-22, C2200 and maybe the MX110. The C2200 may be out of the question because I still have to send the kids to college! Any info or experiece with these pre-amps would be appreciated. I frequent the forum when I have the time...couple of times a week if I'm fortunate. To those who graciously respond...thanks for the advice in advance. frt8dog

Your situation sounds very similar to mine.

I have an MX-110 and have MC-30's on the way. I chose the 110 largely due to bang for the buck....two for the price of one. I am told the C20 or the C22 would be the way to go, if cost were no object, but alas, it is, so I felt the 110 was more than enough for my needs.

The MX-110 is fresh back from an updating from Terry, and I like it a great deal. I am using this with an MC250 currently, with a pair of Belle Klipsch. The 30's are soon to arrive - I'll be reporting those impressions here.

If cost were no object, I would go C22/MC30/MR71.

Also, talk to Allan Songer on the Klipsch forum - this is right up his alley. He was a great help for me (as was this forum), and he has much info to share.

AUDIBLE NECTAR

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY! YOU WILL ENJOY THOSE AMPS ONCE YOU GET THEM BACK FROM TERRY. THE ONLY BAD THING ABOUT ASKING FOR ADVICE IS IT MAKES THE DECISION THAT MORE COMPLICATED FOR THE ONE ASKING. I FREQUENT THE KLIPSCH WEBSITE...I'LL HAVE TO DO A SEARCH OVER THERE...THANKS FRT8DOG

Welcome aboard frt8dog! Got pics? :) I am a 2 MX110 guy, and I gree with Audible Nectar, it is getting both for the price of one
just not as many in/outs as a separate pre, but a big plus in 1
less component to place and 1 less set of IC's too. A big plus in my "cute" house anyway.

Carl

Carl
Thanks so much for your input! No pictures yet...sorry. In regards to the MX 110...I'm running a Fisher 500C with my 82 Cornwalls in the other room which takes care of my FM radio listening. This Pre will be strickly for CD/LP useage. There's lots of info out there to read...I'll make a decision soon on which way to go. I've read some stuff over on SH web site...I believe he is partial to the C20 with his MC30's. Anyway thanks for all the input from yourself and Audible Nectar... frt8dog

I tried but couldn't find the post where Terry De Wick explains how the MX110 is essentially a C20/MR67 combo
with very little differences between them.
FWIW, I scratch my head over absolutes in audio when audio is actually the comprimises to one tastes with no absolutes IMHO.
Of course there is the absolute of design, sound, build, looks,
and product support of McIntosh. :)
You will find people that seem to prefer one model greatly
over another in any Mc. I suggest to trust your ears and
use them when you look. The MX110 side by side with
cosmetic issues equal, the C20 fetches the higher price
which is what makes the MX110 the great deal it is.
Just something to keep in mind that you don't have to use the tuner if you don't want to. :D
Good Luck!
BTW, as I recall Steve is partial to his Marantz 7. ;)

Carl

Back
Top Bottom