MC302 driving Klipsch RF7 iis.

For now it's my trusty Yamaha CX-1000 pre amp. I recapped and refurbished it a couple years back, put Elna Silmic IIs everywhere in the signal path. Im now saving for a C47, C48, C50, C52, C2500, or C2600. I know I need to narrow it down. I have to have a MC phono stage. I chose to dive in now because I can now afford it! All 4 kids are raised and gone so Ive got my toy money back. I went new on the amp since that does all the heavy lifting. Ive got about 4 hours on the amp now and could not be more impressed. Did some AB with my MX-1000 and no sub. The wall of sound is full and complete now. What impresses me the most is how effortless the low end sounds now no matter what the volume. Correct me if Im wrong but this amp sounds like it has warmth. Cant wait for it to be broke in.

I ran a Yamaha as pre but now use a Lyngdorf. I like neutrality of the Lyngdorf as a pre amp since amplification is done to the digital signal based on power supply as well as room correction done digitally. There is no sound coloration by amplification the way Peter Lyngdorf executes the pre signal processing to change volume digitally. I use a DAC to convert digital signal last step into amps with fixed volume. The Yamaha Pre can't compare for SNR or dynamic range compared to Lyngdorf signal

I have a C39 I will use for phono. i will compare to Lyngdorf pre. Right now I am happy.

The ported speakers are probably less forgiving of lower dampening factor of the MC302 compared to MX1000. You interpret as warmth.

It finally arrived. Spent about 3 hours with it last night. Apparently I like it loud because my meters were floating around 30 watts most of the time. It does run hotter than the MX1000, but the sound stage is so much deeper and wider. I am on the 8ohm taps and it gets pretty warm. Much warmer than my MX-1000 did. I'm still wondering if these should be on the 8ohm taps. Klipsch says 8ohm compatible but I wounder if they are more like 6ohm. View attachment 900717
Sounds like you're having fun! Feel free to try the 4 Ohm taps and stay with whichever sounds more pleasing. The amplifier will make more power and deliver greater current from the 8 Ohm taps but that may simply not be necessary.

Back
Top Bottom