MC402 for Aerial Acoustics 7b speakers?

kaplan59

I have recently purchased a pair of Aerial Acoustics 7b speakers and am considering to pair them with an MC402. Stereophile measured these speakers with a sensitivity of 84.4dB and impedance which drops down to 3ohms at around 300Hz. The nominal impedance rating is 6ohms. These speakers do like power. (You can do a search on Stereophile's web site with "Aerial 7b" to see their measurements.)

Would the MC402 be a good pairing, or do you think I would be able to get away with using an MC207 or MC252 to drive these speakers? Unfortunately I have not had the chance to demo the Mc amps with the Aerials yet, but should be able to shortly.

Thanks.

I'm surprised no one has replied to your question, but I guess no one has familiarity with this pairing.

But here is the thing ... the beauty of McIntosh amps are the autoformers on the SS amps including the 402. By hooking them up to the 4 Ohm taps, I think you will get better results than many of the DC-coupled amps out there, which have to have protection schemes and need other engineering feats to drive difficult impedance loads. I know that quite a few people who use ESL speakers, just love McIntosh amps, because they are able to drive the wild loads these speakers present.

My 2 cents anyway.

The 4 ohm taps will have no problem with the three ohm load. A MC402 will be over 500 watts per channel with this load if you have good AC.

Ron-C

I have a similar dilemma.

My speakers measure almost exactly like those and in the back of my mind, I just don't think the 252 could drive them adequately. But I have no basis for saying that other than my experience with other amplifiers. All of the ones that have driven my speakers adequately have been over 300 watts into 4.

It sucks having to go all out with power b/c I'd love to use a 2102.

Don't get me wrong. The 402 is one of the best amps I have heard. I just like the McIntosh tube sound.

The MC252 drives the heck out of the B&W N800s. If you have good AC the 252 will be over 300 continuous and twice that on peaks.
What speakers are you using?

Ron-C

Well I have good AC I guess. 2 dedicated circuits with 10 ga. stranded THHN and dedicated grounds.

My speakers are Piega C3 Limited. When playing them with the 2275, she had to put out 10x the watts (according to the meters) to get my speakers the same level as the C10 Limiteds which are much more sensitive.

kaplan -> I agree with Ron. I am sure MC-402 drives Your 7bs with ease. I personally tried MC-402 with many very difficult loads (Dynaudio Confidence 5 or Thiel CS 6) and never encountered any problems. The amp drives those speakers in large rooms and still offers a lot of power reserve. That amp is even stronger than it looks like. I can name very few stereo power amps superior to MC 402 but any of those costs at least twice as much.

According to MC-252 question. I compared MC 252 vs MC402. I think MC402 is much smoother and 'musical' but 252 is very strong. My personal impression was that MC252 offered even more power than 402 (I know it doesnt) so it should drive difficult loads pretty easily as well.

Regards

qb

Back
Top Bottom