Mc402 Vs. Mc452

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by quartersaw, Apr 21, 2018.

1. motorstereo

motorstereo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Congrats to you on bringing home a real beauty of an amp:thumbsup:.

quartersaw and grillebilly like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

You guys have been talking up the 452 so much and I have been wanting to get a 2-channel SS Mac amp. A local guy was willing to trade my 275 and some cash for his 452. I won't be able to hook it up until Saturday, going to be a long few days.

quartersaw likes this.
  3. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Well he was the first MC452 owner here ... so yep - blame squarely placed.

quartersaw and 4-2-7 like this.
  4. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

You might want to bring the engine hoist inside:D

grillebilly likes this.
  5. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music Subscriber

Absolutely!! I am the ambassador for the MC452!! McIntosh should be paying me a commission!! Hahahaha!!

DO IT!!! You'll never regret it!! I am sitting here typing this as I listen an look at met MC452 across the room, it always brings joy when I experience the awesomeness of my McIntosh system!!

quartersaw and grillebilly like this.
  6. kevzep

Yes, they are heavy!! Good grief, the damn MC2205 is heavy enough let alone the 452!!

Then I was looking at the new product line......oops!!

grillebilly likes this.

7. quartersaw

quartersaw Well-Known Member

The 128 lb. Mc2300 that the '452 replaced is sitting on my floor about 2 feet away from its previous perch. It will sit there for at least a few more days, before I conjure up the moxie to relocate it.

8. quartersaw

quartersaw Well-Known Member

I would've made that deal as well!

grillebilly likes this.
  9. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm telling my mother I need a 452.
    All the cool kids get them:rolleyes:
    BTW
    My mother is 80 and next time I see her and I tell her this she'll give me a a blank stare and roll her eyes at me.

grillebilly likes this.
  10. jblnut

jblnut Don't Overthink It Subscriber

Congrats grillebilly! Another 275 owner moves back into SS with some heavy iron :)

jblnut

motorstereo and grillebilly like this.
  11. exhippy

exhippy I use to have long hair. Now I'm lucky to have any Subscriber

I recall when I first hooked-up my 452 it was shutting down after 30 minutes of use before I bought a Power Control Connector cord (pre to amp) I was using a C48 pre at the time (not that, that makes a difference.) I had no idea what was going on until I asked on this forum. Ron enlighten me and I've been living happily ever after.

12. grillebilly

Thanks for all the congrats on the new amp. I got it hooked up and have been listening to it for a few hours now. Started out playing records with some rock music- Hendrix, Black Angels, The Allah La's, Southern Culture On The Skids, and really wasn't overwhelmed with the sound. It is different, hard to say exactly how, but even the wife said it is different. I then put some stuff on that wasn't so "busy", Love Tractor, Wilco and some Bill Frisell. Oh man it really shines on the jazzy music, the drums and cymbals are more lifelike than before. So far so good. I'm trying not to let it's appearance factor in my observations, it's easy to be impressed by the way it looks. I'm not big on audiophile terminology, but I would say it's one badass motherfucker.

quartersaw and kevzep like this.
  13. grillebilly

The Mrs and I are really enjoying it. The first thing we both agreed on being so different is the speakers seem to not be as separate, the music is blended more, I guess the audio term would be "depth" if that makes any sense. I'm a believer now, I didn't think the speakers had it in them.

14. kubla

kubla New Member

If you don’t connect power control to the amp from a supporting preamp, the manual says you can plug from the amp power out to the power control in with a stereo cable to keep the amp from auto shutdown. Lately I
    Iike to just leave the amp on all weekend, so use a cable like that (pre is tube and I don’t want to leave that running). Probably all in my head, but I like it more after it’s been on for a day. I had an external transformer on a smart switch for a while, but it gave me problems I need to resolve.

quartersaw likes this.
  15. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

Sounds like you're finding what many do when you have a high level of power and sophistication driving your system. To my ears the sound becomes effortless. Richer, fuller and with the individual instruments bigger and rounder but still articulate. And all going to create a sound stage that makes the speakers "disappear."

Love Tractor? Haven't heard that name in a long time. Great time for music from that area. I still have my Pylon, dB's, Let's Active and Guadalcanal Diary LP's and the dB's "Black and White" on 45. And maybe my Method Actors LP around somewhere. Though the ex might have taken off with that one. ;)

16. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

That will work, it's audiophile in my book.
    Actually it sounds like your speakers are diapering and instead of hearing a left and right you have better soundstage.

Generally when I switch form a low power amp like the 275 on fairly hungry speakers to big SS power, the change is dramatic. There is a speed to the control of the drivers. Bass will be tight and snappy, and all the mids and highs come alive. You should have enough head room to cover 20db swings of transient peaks in the music.

The drums an snare should snap and punch hard

Vocals, Piano and Acoustic Guitar.

See how it handles this album

17. JosephH

JosephH AK Subscriber Subscriber

You guys suck! I pick up my MC 452 this weekend!!! :banana:

motorstereo and 4-2-7 like this.
  18. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Wow . . . kev talks another AKer into opening the wallet wide! Such a bad influence . . .

Congrats to all you MC452 owners!

4-2-7 likes this.
  19. kevzep

Well Tony, looks like you're one of the few without one now......They're hot rockin', get in while you can!!

You're welcome.......

4-2-7 likes this.
  20. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

He tried that on me around 4 years ago, I didn't fall for it.:D

Well it's time to have a AK MC452 club banner inserted on signatures.

I think I got enough to buy into the C100, myself;)

It took me 4 years of work to get @jblnut to get 501s