MC452 protection mode one channel?

There is an IEC standard and there is an AES standard, both are Pin 2 hot. There is no US Standard, per se.

A reference to "US standard" is usually a reference to the old days where a few US manufacturers used Pin 3 hot. Here you see an example of that archane reference carried forward into a Marantz AV7005 manual that mentions the "USA" method of wiring. It was by no means a standard and was by no means the "USA" method, even back in the day (although, again, a few mfgs. did it that way). Personally, I own a fair number of units Made In USA going back nearly 40 years. Not a single one of them uses Pin 3 hot.

XLR.JPG

Last edited:
There is an IEC standard and there is an AES standard, both are Pin 2 hot. There is no US Standard, per se.

A reference to "US standard" is usually a reference to the old days where a few US manufacturers used Pin 3 hot. Here you see an example of that archane reference carried forward into a Marantz AV7005 manual that mentions the "USA" method of wiring. It was by no means a standard and was by no means the "USA" method, even back in the day (although, again, a few mfgs. did it that way). Personally, I own a fair number of units Made In USA going back nearly 40 years. Not a single one of them uses Pin 3 hot.

View attachment 1143003
I don't think anybody is disputing the standard.
When I started in professional audio 30 years ago, Pin2 hot was the standard for US as we know, however some products coming out of the UK were pin3 hot.
We used to change everything pin 3 to pin 2 hot. I can't remember the last time I saw something pin3 hot.

A true fully balanced unit wont make any difference whether pin 2 or pin 3 is hot. It will still work, and it will work with the quad balanced McIntosh products.
Obviously the signal will have 180˚ phase shift, so as long as both channels are the same you wont hear any difference.
However for the sake of standards and having everything pushing the same way and making sense, pin2 is the standard right.
Where it comes unstuck, is with this "economy" balanced output design. Then it becomes critical as it wont work plugging a pin 2 device into a pin 3 device, you'll effectively short the input out. In the case of a McIntosh quad balanced unit, its actually a problem and damage can occur.
I'm not saying you don't know any of this, just putting it out there in general for people to read...

just putting it out there in general for people to read...

And that is why I questioned it as "amiss" because the IEC vs "US" wiring didn't explain the problem. Didn't want that to be misunderstood as a pin 2 hot vs. pin 3 hot issue to cause confusion for casual passers-by long after we've forgotten this thread.

Post 16 clarified the real problem.

Do not think the problem is not Lyngdorf and XLR. I had an MC402 2 years before without a problem ...
I would write them and ask for schematic for assurance on grounds once amp repaired. Contact is sales@lyngdorf.com These amps will surprise yyou how much they w will take. The person ith MEN220 issue had MC501s which though great amp shows like ad stress sooner than the others.

Let us know what you discover.

Hi Marcus
The XLR output of the DPA-1 is a fully balanced type – so you should not have any problems
- The issue with pseudo balanced outputs relates only to the RP-1 and MEN-220

Best regards
Flemming Smith
LYNGDORF AUDIO

Hi Marcus
The XLR output of the DPA-1 is a fully balanced type – so you should not have any problems
- The issue with pseudo balanced outputs relates only to the RP-1 and MEN-220

Best regards
Flemming Smith
LYNGDORF AUDIO

That means something else is up with your MC452 in the latent early life failure realm. Your assumptions were correct about previously no issues. At least Lyngdorf ackowledged their RP-1 should only be used with unbalanced feeds to the Quad balanced amplifiers. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom