Mc60 and b&w 805n

ghostpedal

I'm using this with a c34v.I'm not quite happy with the sound and would like some opinions on what to do. I was thinking of adding a c2300 and a sub.My other option is I can get a good deal on a mc402 with a c45 preamp.Which setup would give me the best sound.Thanks

What do you believe is missing?

B&W speakers can be an acquired taste in the first pace, and with the 805 series lack of bass under most all installation situations they appeal to even fewer listeners.

The MC60s a classic tube amp, certainly a collectable classic, a noble example of the best from the 60s. High efficency speakers, probably horn loaded designs were used back then and most likely today also.

The 402 is a modern transistor amp designed to deal with some of the marginally designed problem speakers many speaker companies thrust out on the market today.

Will it be reveared as best of class 40-50 years from now......who knows.

Solving your speaker issue will be your best, most effective avenue to explore.

It has been a few years since I worked a B&W sales floor but even back then a pair of 805ns were a many multiples of $400 dollars for a pair.

When I wish to play with my restored Heathkit W5Ms I pull out a pair of 1st generation Time Windows and live with the volume restrictions. A set of Quads would be nice with those amps but then we are really talking about restricted volume.

If you are looking for budget speaker suggestions start a new thread with the equipment you have available. I am sure you will receive a lot of suggestions and will not hijack the OPs first thread.

I have the 805S speakers hooked up to a MC2155 and they sound great together (it is a fairly small room though). I also had a C34V preamp in the mix and that sounded fine, but I heard more detail with a C2300 (and a C100 and a C500T).

Personally, I've always felt the MC60 to be the pinnacle of chrome chassis Mc tube amps. I've had three pair. I used mine with B&W DM580s for a few years and really enjoyed the combo. At the time, I used a C29 preamp.

How long has it been since the MC60s have been restored? What taps have you tried with the 805s?

An MC402 will have at the very lesst these benefits:
1 - Far greater current capability, which can enhance the low frequency performance.
2 - Greatly improved S/N.
3 - Input section will be a better match to modern preamps.

If I had to do it again, I'd of never sold my MC60s.

What do you believe is missing?

B&W speakers can be an acquired taste in the first pace, and with the 805 series lack of bass under most all installation situations they appeal to even fewer listeners.

Aren't all speakers an acquired taste? Of course, the 805's don't go low; they're not a full-range speaker. What the 805's do have is an excellent mid range and smooth highs; they also pair up well with MAC amps. I've had my 805N's for 17 years and most everyone who's heard them tells me how much they like their sound. Btw. match the B&W's with a good sub and the low end is no longer an issue.

The OP is looking for answers, and having worked in audio for 40 years, it is sometimes best to let people with a question or a "problem" know they are not alone. Others have been there before them.

The OP wonders if he should add a sub if you read his post, but other than that hint has not yet detailed his lack of satisfaction.

The OP needs to add more details.

Back
Top Bottom